Anyone try the diet pill phentermine?

nicole u
on 4/28/14 9:38 pm - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with

Hi all!! I am 6 years post op RNY. I made it to my goal weight of 143 from 298. Over time I gained back to 180. I want these 37 pounds off and it's not easy. Was prescribed phentermine 37.5 mg last Wednesday and lost 4 pounds so far. I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or advice for me!! Thanks!!

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

Vivian Prouty
on 4/28/14 11:34 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hello.....I took it for a couple of months but had to stop due to it making my blood pressure go up to dangerous levels.    It works well if you exercise with it.    I am maybe "older" than you in age too.   I had my WLS 8+ yrs. ago and had about a 20 + lb. re-gain.   I did loose 10 lbs. in a month.   I've thought about going back to my bariatric surgeon and trying it again ( I tried it about 18 mo. ago ).    Congrats on your loss....sounds like your on your way.   Make sure to monitor your BP while on it and take it in the AM.    It also would keep me awake.    Good luck to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Anniebo
on 5/1/14 4:35 pm

Dangerous stuff, complete bull**** It can be addictive too. It's just really bad news, I'd get away from this stuff if I were you immediately. I know about this drug all too well.

shall0927
on 4/29/14 12:38 am

I take it. I know many others who have taken it, and worked well for most. I personally don't see HUGE differences, but some. I guess it does help me to make better choices. For me, I tend to get really hungry all the sudden around 5 or 6 so my dr told me to take 1/2 in morning and other half about 12. that helps!

watch your blood pressure, also your liver enzymes can be effected. I don't know how it works post surgery.

MsBatt
on 4/29/14 12:46 am

It will work exactly as well post-op as it did pre-op---in other words, you'll lose some weight, and when you stop taking it you'll gain it back.

While you're taking it, your blood pressure may go up drastically. You could have a stroke, or develop pulmonary hypertension. Totally not worth it, in my opinion.

White Dove
on 4/29/14 1:11 am - Warren, OH

What Ms Batt said. 

Weight gain is because of the way the surgery works and because of staying in denial.  Here is how to lose the weight:

1. Get an accurate scale and weigh yourself everyday.
  2. Determine your macros (fiber, fat, calories, and carbs) at iifym.com
  3. Set your macro goals into myfitnesspal and log your food and exercise there.

If pills worked, there would be no need for weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

miss_muffet
on 4/29/14 10:55 am - WA
VSG on 12/31/13

I took it years ago, one of may desperate attempts at weight loss.

For me it helped with weight loss but just for a short period of time, maybe two months. After that the effectiveness wore off. My Dr. advised me prior to starting the pills that this would probably happen. Of course the weight came back on eventually. 

There's no substitute for just staying on or getting back on plan...just sayin'. 

Best wishes.

TiffanyLeann
on 4/29/14 11:04 am

I was on phentermine two different times about 3 years ago. I would NOT suggest it if you've had previous heart problems only because it caused me to have a valve regurgitation. I lost 30 pounds each time but gained back 60 each time I stopped taking it. I honestly felt amazing on it as long as I kept myself hydrated. Just be careful if you decide to take it :)

Vicki PNW
on 5/2/14 12:34 pm

My then-endocrinologist prescribed Phentermine as part of my weight loss attempt in early 2002.  I was already on BP medication, but I don't think that Phentermine affected my BP significantly.  I stopped seeing my endocrinologist about 3 years later because the staff changes caused the clinic to be managed like the Keystone Kops.  By that time, I had lost about 60# but gained 50# by the time I had WLS 3 years later.  I am no longer on BP medication and my BP was 109/69 at my dentist's office yesterday.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.