Commitment Contracts

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/21/14 4:18 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I just learned about this site (www.stickk.com) during my Consumer Behavior class last night. You create your own goals or commitments and you assign a referee (a close friend or family member) who will rat you out if you break your commitment. If you do break your commitment, you are "punished" by having to donate to a charity that you hate! Hahaha! I think that's a great incentive!

The premise behind the "commitment": "Years of economic and behavioral research show that people who put stakes - either their money or their reputation - on the table are far more likely to actually achieve a goal they set for themselves."

I had quit drinking Diet Coke cold turkey before surgery and was Diet Coke-free for at least six months. But now, my Diet Coke habit has slowly been creeping back. So, I decided to make a commitment on stickk.com. Every week, I need to submit a report. If my referee (my boyfriend) or I report that I drank Diet Coke during that week, $5 will be donated to my anti-charity (a Super PAC supporting a certain political party I abhor).

Do you think donating to an "anti-charity" would help you keep your personal commitments?

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Valerie G.
on 5/21/14 4:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That is hilarious!  

I, too, am a diet coke-a-holic, so I feel for ya.  I'm trying to work my way to iced tea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kaytiebugs
on 5/21/14 4:30 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I TOTALLY think that the premise is right on. I've done office-wide "diet bets" before and won most of them because I want that MONEY lol. But I don't like the idea of being tattled and punished etc.. I used to do that with my hubby years ago... have him "watch me" to make sure I didn't slip up and not let me ____(whatever covetous thing) if I did slip. I just didn't like feeling like I was being monitored all the time. I do MUCH better focusing on a positive reward for being successful rather than committing to something in order to avoid something negative happening. The same principle applies in parenting. Kids do much better when they focus on a reward for doing the right things rather than doing the right things in order to avoid punishment.

Not saying it isn't a brilliant idea lol. Just saying I'd probably end up hating my hubby and myself in the long run lol.

MyLady Heidi
on 5/21/14 4:37 am

That is exactly why I outed myself to the world I was having wls and never want to be the topic of the regain conversation ever.  Period.  I doubt many people have extra money to waste on something so silly.  I am positive I don't.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/21/14 4:42 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Haha! I don't think it's "silly". And it's not really "wasting money" since the $5 per week that I would be donating is less than the money I would be spending on Diet Coke. 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/21/14 5:28 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes you could spend it on a bikini instead and then post pics.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/21/14 5:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Please god, no. Anything but that.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/21/14 5:39 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Oh yes, ANY excuse to post a bikini pic!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/21/14 5:40 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I will post mine when I can afford plastics. lol

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views