Ten years out and having terrible body cramping

Kathryn K.
on 7/12/14 11:54 am

I have always had issues with leg cramps at night, but they almost stopped completely since I went off of my cholestorol medicine. In January I decided it was time to drop some more weight so I really keyed in on low carb abd low cal eating salads and protein. About two weeks into it I had severe body cramping. Like leg cramps but all over. I drink anywhere from 6 - 10 glasses a water a day. Blood work says not dehydration. So I tried again in March and the same thing happened - 24 hours of body cramping. In between these two major issues, the nighttime leg cramps have been back. My response to pain - walking around the house and eating. I have gained 20 pounds since January. My doctor is no help. I take lots of vitamins trying to find what the issue is but have not found a solution. Last night was one of the few nights that I slept completely through with no problems. Besides a new doctor - any suggestions? Im desperate.

Ladytazz
on 7/12/14 12:06 pm

How is your magnesium level?  I was getting painful cramps, mainly in my legs and when I had my recent labs my magnesium was at the bottom range so I doubled up and I haven't had those cramps for a while now.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kathryn K.
on 7/12/14 12:37 pm

I have wondered if it were magnesium or potassium. I often have AB calm in hot tea at night which is a magnesium/calcium supplement. It helps some but does not eliminate the problem.

VSG on 06/12/13

Are you on a statin drug? If so, they can cause cramping as a side effect. My hubby was really susceptible. Might be worth seeing if any other alternatives are available.

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

poet_kelly
on 7/12/14 1:36 pm - OH

I suggest getting a full set of labs to see if any  nutritional deficiencies might be the problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathryn K.
on 7/12/14 11:00 pm

i did June 9. BUT when I went back two weeks later they weren't in. I went back and weighted 2 hours to see him and only one panel was back. (He told me everything was fine as he was falling asleep on his keyboard and told me to come back in six months). They were supposed to email them to me on Friday but I still haven't gotten them. I need a new doctor!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/12/14 1:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to add that I had leg cramps nearly every night -- turns out I was magnesium deficient.  I now take chelated magnesium twice a day.  No leg cramps and no more neck/shoulder pain.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathryn K.
on 7/12/14 11:01 pm

Do you have any problems with the magnesium causing diarrhea?

Noragretz
on 7/13/14 2:42 am
VSG on 09/05/14

It depends of the type of magnesium you buy. Chelated is what you should look for. I use Doctors Best chelated magnesium. It will also help you sleep at night, however i am pre-surgery and I must note that the pills are HUGE.

hth

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/14 6:19 am, edited 7/14/14 7:30 am

Chelated minerals are mostly absorbed in the part of a small intestine that was bypassed in RNY people.  

Citrate is good for us.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active