Been around OH for awhile? Please share your WLS Journey

Member Services
on 7/15/14 9:37 am - Irvine, CA

The OH community has so many members that have been around for quite some time.  You've provided LOTS of information, education and support, and make the community what it is. 

Please introduce yourself and share your WLS journey.

MsBea
on 7/19/14 9:22 am - MN

Hi, My name is Betty, (MsBea was the screen name I picked in February of 2006, on my birthday, when I had RNY.)  I was very successful with posting on Obesity Help and was a model patient.  I lost 150 +, and maintained that for at least a year. I was so happy, healthy, grateful and proud of my accomplishment.  What happened? So many things...boredom, getting slim and still not being blissfully happy, missing food that I a still addicted to, etc...

I can't say I have been very helpful to others on the site.  I regained much of my weight, and have a lot of self-contempt over that.  How could someone ruin the treasured tool of a small stomach?!  Well, I did.

But here I am 8+ years later, I am going to try again.  I am here to say, never give up, don't turn your back on yourself and fall into self-pity.

That's my story, you can check out my profile if you would like.

I will be here to give and get help.

I am grateful that someone from the website reached out to me.

Betty

Jerry R.
on 7/21/14 4:54 pm - Simi Valley, CA

Hi Betty,

Sorry to hear about your weight re-gain/relapse....it's great your back at it, don't give up, and if you get back ti basics you can have success again.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM.

JR

MsBea
on 7/22/14 12:59 am - MN

Hi JR,

Thank you so much for your reply...it is encouraging to be back in touch.  I appreciate your support!

Betty

djpooh1210
on 7/28/14 10:01 am - gordonsville , VA

Hey Betty i.had my RNY in 2006 and ive lost over 250lbs never give up!!!! I.wss weighing 525lbs now im about 235

MsBea
on 7/29/14 9:23 am - MN

Hi dj,

Thank you for reaching out.  I won't give up, or at least I continue starting over.

Good for you on your amazing weight loss! 

Betty

Cathy W.
on 7/30/14 12:33 am

WOW, congratulations on your amazing weight loss of 250 pounds!!!!!!!!!!  Way to go!

gram247
on 7/29/14 11:51 pm

Good luck as you embark on this journey again. 

I had VSG in October 2011 and lost +150 pounds. I am still losing and finally decided that plastic surgery was the incentive. So far I have had 2 of 3 procedures. This last one, lipo of the thighs and buttocks has been the worse. More painful than any one before. The lower body lift was not difficult at all. Surgically they have removed over 35 pounds. 

Only you know what thr "ruts" in your path. If you need to have a buddy to help you through, please feel free to contact me, & I will hold your hand so you know that you are not alone.

Cathy W.
on 7/30/14 12:29 am

Hi Betty,

Thanks for posting your update.  You aren't alone in the regain.  Been there and done that a couple of times myself.  It is more difficult to lose regained weight than it was right after surgery but it can be done! 

I have an OH Group - Back On Track Together.  I hope you'll join and hang out on the group and the boards.  One of the things that I've done that has helped me to stay (and get) back on track is to hang out even more on OH.  For me, there is something about being on OH with other members, posting, replying that make me feel more in touch with the community. 

I'm going to send you an OH friend request. 

Vivian Prouty
on 7/24/14 11:44 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hello Everyone,

I've been around Obesity Help going on I believe 10 years now.   I had my RNY Gastric Bypass going on 9 yrs ago as of 11/22.    Would I have my WLS again.....ABSOLUTELY !!!!   I too, like Betty, have had a regain but not a huge one, but enough of one I beat myself up over it.    I lost 140 lbs. with my RNY and I have regained 27 lbs.    I did not gain any weight at all till I was going on 5 yrs. post op and that year I had 5 people who were either family or close friends pass away in a very short time.    Like ole times....I turned back to food for comfort instead of turning to exercise like I had done since my surgery.    Life hasn't been super kind to me since that time...I deal daily with tons of stress and I too am working very hard with my "stinking thinking" and trying to get back on track.   I am a support group leader through OH and have been since I was 3 yrs. post op.  I owe my maintenance to Obesity Help and all the encouragement and support on all these amazing forums.   Our success shouldn't be measured by a number that the scale displays.....just because we have had a regain doesn't mean we are a failure.    If you've had a regain...never look back to the past.   Keep on moving forward toward your goal.   I truly believe that one of these days I WILL reach my goal weight. I was 1 lb. above my goal weight at one time.  LOL    Oh and if you get to a weight but it isn't that "normal BMI" it's OK.    How many of us are truly normal anyway.    Have a blessed day !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Most Active