Husband and I BOTH 2 Mos. Post Op and VERY Depressed

apriljoy
on 7/16/14 2:43 pm

My husband and I are losing weight, doing great, but can't seem to shake this feeling of depression, helplessness, hopelessness, and we are both sitting here in our house together day after day getting thin but feeling sadder than hell.  We both don't have jobs outside the home, and we spend all the time together.  So I know we need to get out and DO stuff....but good grief, someone help me....I have never felt this way in my life!  I've even cheated on my diet, STILL am losing weight, and nothing helps this feeling.  I just want to die!  GAH!  *sob*  

Any help?

ShadowWolf3
on 7/16/14 3:30 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I haven't had my surgery yet but my husband and I have been put of work a long time so I know how you feel.  I just have to get out once in awhile.  Rather it be out fishing or walking.  Because we don't have much money we look for free stuff to do.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

apriljoy
on 7/16/14 3:31 pm

What free stuff do you go do?

ShadowWolf3
on 7/16/14 4:43 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Since it is summer local area have free summer concerts.  Or we go to the park, go fishing or I just check newspaper to find interesting things to do.  I joined a book club which meets once a month.  While I don't drink local wineries sometimes have free music also.  I usually just have water there and if I am hungry I will buy a cheese plate.  Normally I don't spend any money though.  They haven't complained about it yet but helps that I know some of the owners.

I know you have to pay for gas but sometimes it just little things to break the monotony.  The library also have free things you can sign up to do.  At least in my area.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

TexasTerritory
on 7/16/14 4:39 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
If you are serious about wanting to die, please seek help. That feeling is very concerning on so many levels. If necessary, go to the hospital and report your feelings to the professionals. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. (Been there, done that)

Secondly, changing your eating habits is drastic now. This early out, you can cheat and lose weight. But eventually, cheating will interrupt your success. Keep to your food plan and avoid emotional eating. Wishing you only the best!

Eggface
on 7/16/14 10:23 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

If you were on medication for your depression issues prior to surgery you need to go back to your Dr and have your dosage adjusted... as we lose weight and if there is a malabsorptive component to your surgery that will effect what is now needed. 

If you are not being treated for depression maybe it's time you both went in... it's normal to have the blues a bit after WLS... anesthesia, shock of surgery, lack of nutrients, big changes but if it lasts its time to seek help.

I will echo the earlier poster "I just want to die!" not an option... that's a permanent solution for something that can be fixed. This was a great first step. Take the next one, call your Dr. Here's a # to call if those thoughts cross your mind again Call 24/7 - 1-800-273-8255

I also agree getting out will help fresh air, get out of your head and home and find something fun or helpful to do... volunteer at a senior center, explore a nearby town, be a tourist in your own town, geocache, hike, something.

Best to you and your husband.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

greensleeved
on 7/16/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I am having some similar issues. Feel stuck in the house with nothing to do. All the suggestions above are good ones. Sometimes it can be fun to be a tourist in your own town. Where would you take people if they were coming to visit you?  Your community should have lots of things to do (we have concerts in the park, speakers, etc.) around my town during the summer.  If you belong to a church they may have events planned you could get involved in too. If you don't belong to a church you could try to find one. (I am agnostic/humanist but joined the Unitarian church here just for the sense of community).

Volunteering can also be a great way to get out of the house. The homeless need food, animals at the shelter need to be walked, etc. It will get you out of the house and moving around, plus you'll be contributing to the greater good.

And if your saying you want to die isn't just venting then PLEASE call a professional right away. Your PCP can probably recommend someone right away. Good luck and all of us out here in OH land are pulling for you both.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

bricky
on 7/16/14 10:49 pm

pLAY SOME MUSIC GET A HOBBY

Laura in Texas
on 7/16/14 11:02 pm

Even if it is just a walk around the block, you know you need to get out of the house. Right now you can eat anything and still lose weight. The surgery is doing all the work. Get a handle on your feelings and learn good habits or whatever you do lose, you will gain back. Work on your life. Find a purpose. Please get some help.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jjam67
on 7/16/14 11:39 pm - Northern, NV

Please see a professional re: any feeling of hurting yourself. That said, weight loss releases toxins and hormones (estrogen) into our systems as the fat cells release what is stored. This can be a problem for anyone losing, but with quicker weight loss it can wreak complete havoc on one's emotions. Seek advice from your doctor. 

Most Active