Vitamins

ConfidenceIsKey
on 7/21/14 6:10 am

I'm having the Sleeve done on the 31st and  I'm trying to get my vitamins in check. What vitamins did you find out worked best for you? 

What vitams are best for after surgery?

poet_kelly
on 7/21/14 6:51 am - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says  VSG folks should take an adult multivitamin that has 100% of the RDA of most nutrients and includes minerals like copper, zinc and selenium and 1500 mg of calcium citrate (broken into three doses of 500 mg, taken at least two hours apart).  Other vitamins, like iron, B12 and D3, would depend on your labs.

I use a generic multi and generic calcium citrate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fitz
on 7/21/14 9:46 am
VSG on 07/08/14

I just had the vertical sleeve done on 7-8-14. My doctors office recommended the vitamins they carry in the office which are chewable and designed for bariatric patients. Best of luck on your journey. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Valerie G.
on 7/21/14 9:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll have all working parts with the sleeve with no malabsorption, so a standard multi vitamin should be all you need.  Don't waste your money on designer bariatric vitamins.  A Centrum (or equivalent) multi and some extra calcium should do the trick for you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cheryl H.
on 7/21/14 2:19 pm - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

I just ordered from Unjury and got Bariatric vitamins for sleeve.  Whereas I get what the previous poster said about "designer" vitamins, I think I feel better about getting chewables because some hard vitamins don't disolve that well.  Best case scenario you get what you need from a well balanced diet and from your foods but I don't want my hair to fall out, teeth to go bad or anything of that sort because I like my hair and teeth so I am going to try these!

I get sleeved on the 24th

Cheryl

TheNewT
on 7/21/14 11:09 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

My surgeon only requires a multi-vitamin for 3 months. I picked up a gummy vitamin. I coupon and like to get what I need at the best price!

If I had more $ in my medical flex account I would request prescriptions for vitamins and pay that way... pre-tax dollars!

erinmc1
on 7/22/14 12:36 am

gummy are no good!  Ive been advised away from them from my surgeon.  And after surgery a multivitamin is needed daily forever.  So maybe you need to question the false info you have been given

Karen M.
on 7/22/14 12:37 am - Mississauga, Canada

Your surgeon only requires you to take a multi for the first 3 months and then stop? That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. Regardless of your type of surgery with malabsorption or without, your ability to ingest enough food and nutrients to meet daily recommended requirements is severely impaired.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

poet_kelly
on 7/22/14 5:37 am - OH

But you aren't getting what you need from a gummy vitamin.  Look at all the minerals it's missing.

And why only for three months?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1279 views