XR Medications and Gastric Bypass Rouex-y

Polynieces
on 7/22/14 1:19 am

I had gastric bypass fourteen years ago, St. Peter's, New Brunswick, NJ, I have been trying to inform my doctors that anti-depressants that are XR (extended-release); as well as ADHD medications are either completely ineffectual or with ADHD medications require IR (immediate release) medications because of the loss of the functioning, active duodena(um) accomplishes: mainly the release of enzymes. proteins, acids or ascorbic compounds that XR medications REQUIRE to work effectively. Docotrs'-- I've trusted Internist, psychiatrist dismiss me. The dosages prescribed for me are extremely low. I have no relief. Six years using XR anti-depressants (XR) for severe depression, PTSD and ADHD medication (and anxiety medications-- Klonopin 1 mg) have some impact but do not last in any approximate way to alleviate these conditions. Low levels of B vitamins, magnesium, and low testosterone heighten depression, lack of sleep, anxiety etc. 50 mg Vyvanse works for about two hours and the consequence of being able to focus allows me to feel 'normal' composed, capable-- but only for that short-time. Please provide me with a study, a website that convinces my doctor, especially my psychiatrist  that dismissing basic physiological facts relating to gastric bypass is making me vulnerable, mentally compromised and physically inert (reclusive often). I do not want to endure what I have for so long because I trusted my physicians and the are unwilling to 'work with you' or threaten to cut you off of any medication that grants some relief because you ask a question, or ask if they would spend five minutes looking on-line for resources that acknowledge that the physical changes wrought through the gastric bypass surgery have a HUGE impact on malabsorption of medications and nutrients that the body, mind and soul need to be healthy. Do no harm. I had a surgery that helped me in many ways but other doctors not expert in gastroenterology should be humble to admit; they don't know, will listen and consider, regain the curiosity that good doctors' retain throughout their careers. I am being misdiagnosed and untreated. I can no longer remain silent, but when I attempt to speak-- condescension, veiled threats enter the 'conversation' the doctor 'pretends ' to have with me.

siberiancat
on 7/23/14 2:47 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

You need to do the work for them.  You search for research, medical articles, etc. to support your assertions and use a highlighter to express only the most salient points and then take it to them.  They do not have the time (or don't want to take the time) to do it themselves.  Majority of their practice are NOT patients with weight loss surgery.  Just accept that fact - you are the exception.

I find doing the work for doctors not specializing in weight loss surgery - express their support when I give them valid information.

Hope that helps, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Polynieces
on 7/23/14 6:19 am

Thank you. I appreciate the response and I have tried to have them read articles, studies ... just nod their heads and smile.