Why is it so hard to drink water after RNY?

drmroth
on 7/22/14 11:55 am

I'm almost 4 weeks out and I find it so interesting, the things I can and cannot tolerate. I don't understand why drinking water is so difficult. Anyone know why? 

Strangely I am able to eat salad (romaine) and most vegetables without a problem. Proteins seem to be a problem for me but I try to get it in. 

DelilahJO
on 7/22/14 12:56 pm

I had the sleeve but my dr told me it is because of the surface tension of water. Put some Mio in to break that and you should do much better ;) 

jenorama
on 7/22/14 1:04 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Drinking water for me early out was definitely weird-feeling.  I could feel it gurgling down and if I drank too much at once I felt some pressure.  I'm 9 months out now and I'm pretty much back to normal with my water drinking ways.  I think part of it is the swelling as you're still healing and the water is having to work around that.  Take it easy and don't try to drink too much at once and before you know it, you won't even notice it anymore.

Jen

Mslovely52
on 7/22/14 1:39 pm

I hope so to water hurts going down I have to take a very tiny sip for it not to hurt going down. I really miss the ability to drink a glass of cold water, never thought I would miss it. Hope all that changes 4weeks post op RNY surgery.

MickeyDee
on 7/22/14 6:46 pm

Try different temps;  I found that icy water was painful, but tepid water went down OK.  Also, a little lemon or lime made it better, too.

Some people need some hot drink to relax their stoma in the morning.

YMMV

huskergalWsD
on 7/22/14 11:45 pm

I agree, cold water hurt drinking , started drinking room temperature water and it was much easier going down and always took smaller swallows often, like every 15 min I would take another sip. Also started drinking 100 % hot tea. that actually was very soothing going down.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Rainbow_Blue
on 7/23/14 1:46 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I even heated mine and put some honey in it.  Warm water seemed to relax my stomach a bit.  Keep drinking though.  My doc said the number one reason people end up back in the hospital is dehydration.

Most Active