I am waiting on approval from my insurance....

newmomjc
on 7/23/14 9:18 am

I am reading about all of the different types again. I am wondering if I made the right choice. I chose the sleeve gastrectomy. But some statistics I am reading me are scaring me about not loosing the weight......can anyone help

D66
on 7/23/14 11:25 pm

I'm a newbie and have not had surgery yet. However, your decision should be based on what your surgeon thinks that would be best for you based on medical history and what surgery your insurance will cover. 

Don't fret...You're working towards a better you...One step at a time.

Also, there are many here willing to offer knowledge and experiences so always ask when in doubt. 

Valerie G.
on 7/24/14 1:06 am, edited 7/24/14 1:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

WLS is not one-size-fits-all.  These different procedures work in different ways, for we are obese for different physiological reasons.  I've seen too many people follow their friends/coworkers to the same surgeon or fall for the cheerleading efforts at seminars without giving serious though and consideration to their own situation.  The result a year or two later is unacceptable results and/or another trip to the OR to try something else.  You know how your body reacts so much better than a surgeon can size you up in a 15 min consult.  How are you at dieting?  How is your body at dieting?  

• Can you diet like a champ, but see little or no results despite the best efforts?
  • Are you always hungry and never feel full?
  • Do you overeat before you even know what happens?
  • Do you have a need for NSAIDS?
  • Do you have GERD?

Compare this to the different procedures (you'll do yourself a favor to learn all you can about the VSG, RNY and DS).  The VSG (like the LapBand) offers good restriction of how much you can eat at one time, while the RNY and DS give a metabolic edge in addition to restriction.  VSG and DSers can use NSAIDS, but may increase GERD for those that have it pre-op, while RNY alleviates GERD in many.  There is much to weigh out personally, so don't jump on any bandwagons without some considerable thought to yourself personally.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active