Post-op and can't tolerate a lot of foods?...Here's a great suggestion

BASIMAH02
on 7/26/14 8:38 am - IL

I'm 5-1/2 weeks post-op gastric bypass and I find it difficult to tolerate a lot of foods and even harder to get recommended my fluids in. If anyone of you are in my shoes, I have a great suggestion that is easy to tolerate, highly nutritious, and full of fluids. You guessed i****ERMELON!!! It tastes great, and it is easy on your tummy. Most people don't think to eat it. The best thing is it's like eating and drinking at the same time. I just wanted to share because it can be tough finding tasty foods that we can eat post-op. Click on the link below to see all the great benefits you'll get from eating watermelon.  

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=31

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/14 9:32 am

Way too much sugar for me. ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Racewalker48
on 7/26/14 9:47 am
RNY on 02/17/14

And very little to no protein....... I can't afford it. 

BASIMAH02
on 7/27/14 5:52 am - IL

You have to get your proteins from the recommended sources. I was trying to give options only for those who are having difficulty tolerating foods and having a hard time getting in fluids. The benefits of watermelon highly outweigh the drawbacks. I am in no way saying to eat it as a main food option.

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

BASIMAH02
on 7/27/14 5:49 am - IL

Yeah, it's hard to come across a good tasty fruit without having to deal with fructose. But the benefits highly outweigh the drawbacks.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/14 10:12 pm
On July 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM Pacific Time, BASIMAH02 wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to come across a good tasty fruit without having to deal with fructose. But the benefits highly outweigh the drawbacks.  

We may agree to disagree on that one.  The only fruits that are are really deliver for the fructose for me are berries, specially blueberries.  Watermelon is way too sweet and may raise BS way to fast and too much for me to ever consider.  If you had the sleeve - you may be able to afford it.

BTW: good way to help wityh hydration is to use a baller and make small balls from watermelon and freeze that. Use in water instead of ice.  Or make slushies frm it. Add sea salt to increase hydration. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BASIMAH02
on 7/28/14 2:17 am - IL

Great idea. Thanks

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/26/14 10:35 am, edited 7/26/14 11:57 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

At 5 and 1/2 weeks out you should be concentrating on protein and water.  Watermelon is not a good choice this early.  

ETA--46 calories per cup is not good, 10 grams of sugar, 12 carbs and less than 1 gram of protein.  One of the best things I learned in my first few month was (with the exception of protein drinks) do not drink your calories.  Drinking your calories can set you up for failure.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

BASIMAH02
on 7/27/14 5:54 am - IL

I could not tolerate water. period. It made me nauseated. I was able to tolerate watermelon along with my regular diet. I am in NO way suggesting it as a main food choice, it was merely a choice for anyone having the same problem as I was having. My doctor told me it was a great addition to my diet. 

basilmk
on 7/26/14 2:15 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I love, love watermelon and was eating it from the first day local melons started showing up in the stores.

Unfortunately, when I had my six month check up, my surgeon told me that melon -all kinds - just has too much sugar for us.

Now, about every ten days or so, I get one of the very small containers.

Melon is going to be relegated to those foods that I only have on special occasions.

It took me months before I found a beverage I could get down easily but, like me, you have to try because liquid is very important to your success.

Savor those last pieces but try to pit that melon aside for now.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active