Prerequisites for surgery and Other Questions

jocelynluna_312
on 7/26/14 11:27 am - Chicago, IL

Hello everyone, I have finally made the decision to go through with WLS. I am fairly healthy, but I know if I do not do something soon I could end up with some of the obesity related problems. I have always struggled with my weight. Some pretty extreme gains and losses. I know that I can do this with the right tools. So my first question is how you brought up WLS with your pcp. Did you ask for WLS or was it recommended? Also, I just learned that BCBS IL no longer requires the supervised diet/nutrition courses. I am curious though if the surgeons tend to have their own requirements. Thanks in advance for the input! :) 

Bubbles314
on 7/26/14 2:32 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi I too have BCBS of MI.  I do not have a required diet/exercise.  About the Dr's they all require different things and have different diets for pre and post op.  My Dr requires nutrician classes, a psych release, pcp to refer and sign off, upper gi, blood tests, nicateen tests, no caffein, no soda, no sugar, attending support group meetings, appt with a cardiologist to sign off and I may be missing a couple of things but you get the jist.  Going to the first seminar started the ball rolling.

I brought up wls with my pcp and explained why i wanted it, I had a list so i could refer to it if need be and she would know I was serious.  Went as far to ask if other patients have done this and could i count on her support and gaining knowledge to help me on my journey.  She said "yes".  I also listed the advantages of wls for me so she knew I had done some research.

Good luck, sending good wishes your way for speedy results, just remember every situation is different so you just have to start you journey.

poet_kelly
on 7/27/14 12:23 am - OH

I just told my PCP "I'm planning to have gastric bypass surgery."

Yes, surgeons have their own requirements.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen H.
on 7/27/14 6:59 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I also, have decided to have WLS. I will be going to my first baraiatic doctor's appt tomorrow. As far as for my pcp...... I took a list of all the diets I had tried in the last 30 years to him. I also broke it down into 5 year intervals of about what I weighed so he could see the weight going up and down and back up to my highest weight now. My doctor was all for WLS. He looked at my paper and said, "It looks like you have tried".  I also, have BCBS of NC. I don't know what the waiting period is at this moment. Good luck!!!  We "can" do this!!

jessica1371
on 7/27/14 3:22 pm - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

Hi, I have BCBS of IL... you are correct they did away with the 3/6/9 month diet before hand.  They have guidelines based on BMI. If your BMI is at least 35, would will have to have other reasons (sleep apenea, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. ) If you BMI is over 40 you won't need other reasons. .

However BCBS of IL requires you have an:

• surgeon consult
  • Psychologist eval
  • Nutritionist eval.

Then will send off to insurance for predetermination.

Now as for other guidelines check with your surgeons office.  My office is very thorough, they check everything.. They are awesome!

In order to get a surgery date I had to have :

- Psychological eval

- Pulmonary eval

-Abdominal ultrasound

-Attend support groups (only require 1, but I plan on doing all 6)

-Nutrition class

It all goes pretty fast.. I have my nutritional eval on Tuesday... excited  that is last test I needed in order to get my surgery date.

The handout says once I get my surgery date I have a list of pre-surgical testing (upper GI. checst xray, EKG, and Blood work)  and my 2 weeks of liquid preop diet!

So while BCBS may have lightened their restriction.... My office is covering all the bases. I'm glad rather be safe than sorry.

I'm going thru http://www.suburbansurgicalcare.com/bariatric-surgery/, Dr. Wallace.. I love him he's great!!  Surgery will be out of St. Alexian in Hoffman.  I have heard great stories.. Research your doctor!! 

Good luck and message me if you have any other questions..... I'm in a waiting pattern,  dietary eval is Tuesday. 

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

PAT57
on 7/29/14 4:42 am

I have BCBS of Ill.  I was sent for a Stress Test as part of a physical.  The cardiologist said I was healthy and would stay that way if I did one thing.  I said "Lose weight?"  He said yup.  I went to my doctor and told him that.  He asked what I wanted to do about it and I said Gastric Sleeve.  Next thing I knew I was scheduled with a surgeon.  Got phych eval., colposcopy, upper GI, blood tests and chest x-ray.  I thought I would probably hear about it by the end of the summer.  Two weeks later I got a call from the surgeon asking if I could make it for the next week.  I didn't have time to freak myself out over it.  I just did it.  I am 17 days post-op and I have lost 20 lbs.  I wi**** was more but everyone says I am doing good.  Am I sorry?  Not one bit. 

jbrookejones2
on 7/29/14 5:11 am
DS on 04/22/13

My surgeon's list of requirements for BPD DS included:

EKG
Medical Clearance
Bloodwork
Urinalysis
Sleep Study
Psychiatric Clearance
Chest X-ray
DEXA Scan