I cancelled my sleeve surgery.

GrnEydLady
on 7/28/14 2:05 pm, edited 7/28/14 2:06 pm
VSG on 01/05/15

I was schedualed for sleeve surgery August 21st, but I cancelled today! I am sad about it, I really thought I could do it. But my daughter who is 23 and a CNA, my husband and my mom all talked me out of it. They are to worried about the whole process,and the long term effects. I have been educateing them since April but they only see the bad things. So here I am once again doing what others want and pushing MYSELF aside. They said they will support my choice but they made it hard to go with the surgery! I will miss my time reading up in the forums with you all

Anita

McKenna2005
on 7/28/14 2:27 pm

I find your decision to be sad.  I support you in your process, but don't put it totally out of your option list.  Do you have health issues because of your weight?  Good luck and stick around on the site.

Laura in Texas
on 7/28/14 2:39 pm, edited 7/28/14 2:41 pm

I am sad for you, too. Stop being a victim. Do what YOU want to do.

ETA:  A few days ago you posted this. I'm sure none of this has changed since then:

Seeing myself in pictures, not being able to paint my toe nails, not fitting in office chairs, not finding nice clothes at any store to fit me that are'nt a tent posing as fashion, and having trouble wipeing my big ass!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:33 pm

Your right and for my pre-diabetes and my blood pressure, I need to do this! Thank you!

Anita

Laura in Texas
on 7/28/14 11:55 pm

I assume as a CNA your daughter sees people who have issues after weight loss surgery, but they are definitely NOT the majority. 

You have done your research. Take care of YOU!! You do deserve this.

I wish you the best!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NYMom222
on 7/28/14 3:12 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I just had my surgery and not everyone was positive. You have to be confident in your decision. I knew I had diligently tried traditional methods. It's easy to read the horror stories. My surgeon was willing to meet with families. My son didn't live near-by so I had sent him a video from Dr Oz from a few years ago on gastric bypass(what I had) it was good, after it he said the one thing he learned was it isn't a quick fix. I think he thought I was taking the easy way out. I also became more confident as I went to support groups and talked to people who had already surgery... people who were years out too. I had someone say "Isn't that kind of drastic?" Well I am drastically overweight... so it fits. Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kathkeb
on 7/28/14 3:17 pm

The best thing I ever heard Dr. Oz say is that 'being more than100 pounds overweight carries the same health risk as having a solid tumor.  I would operate to remove a tumor, why not consider a surgical treatment for morbid obesity'.

I paraphrased, I don't have him memorized, but this really put morbid obesity into perspective for me .... And has helped some of my family understand my decision.

Kath

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:34 pm

Thanks so very much!

Anita

Judy700
on 7/28/14 4:31 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

There will come a time when if you don't already have co-morbid conditions, you will.  You have a much higher risk of major heart issues not to mention immobility due to joint issues, diabetes, sleep apenea, high blood pressure, just to name a few.  I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 6 years ago and my endocrinologist told me that if I didn't lose weight quickly, full blown diabetes would certainly follow.  I have spinal stenosis and with about 100 extra pounds sitting on my hips and stomach, the pain was so bad that a wheelchair lay ahead as my only option to be able to move.  God knows I tried the traditional methods.  They just didn't work.  This isn't about getting thinner to be more attractive. It's about becoming healthier so you'll live healthy and add years to your life span. Maybe you know all this already, but it doesn't sound like your family does. I am sorry you made the decision to please your family and hope maybe you will reconsider sometime in the future.

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

White Dove
on 7/28/14 4:40 pm - Warren, OH

I have a sister-in-law who is the same way.  Twenty years ago, she let her family make the decision for her. She is in her mid-seventies now and still fat, miserable and unable to enjoy life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active