Cheating 1 week post op-sleeve

BrendaMcMillen
on 7/29/14 10:03 am

Already feeling like a failure. I'm so sick of the liquids and just could not control myself today. I ate as much ham and beans until I nearly vomited. 2 pieces of

spicy cheese. All of this for one meal. I'm afraid I have just blew a substantial amount of money that could have been put to other things for my family. In ways, I'm regretting the surgery already. I miss large amounts of food, sodas, and chocolate so bad. Just like before the surgery, one bad day of eating on a diet, and it's a slippery slope back to the old. 

kathkeb
on 7/29/14 1:54 pm

Worse than blowing the mo eh, you really risk blowing your newly formed sleeve.

Your nerves have been cut and you won't feel damage being done ..

Honestly, I think you should call your surgeons office first thing tomorrow, fess up and see if they want to check you out.

Kath

glady
on 7/29/14 3:54 pm

I can relate to missing the ability to binge eat. I had RNY and  I found myself trying to over eat the sugar free popsicles and greek yogurt at three weeks out. This just gave me  diarrhea. I didn't realize how much I relied on food to relieve stress but this is why we had weight loss surgery. Food is an addiction to me, it takes me to a comfortable numb place and I will always miss going there. You have to be aware of all the stress you are under. Its ok to be scared of failure and its ok to have doubts. Its ok to want to binge eat and forgive yourself for your lapse. You just have to pick yourself up, be strong and face the discomfort and emotional stress instead of eating it away. Think about the strength you had to begin this process and have the surgery and believe that that strength is still there. 

TexasTerritory
on 7/29/14 4:39 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
One week out...and you are eating ham, beans and cheese? That's really tough on your mental, emotional and physical status.

It is time for you to reconsider your eating habits in order for healing to occur. New habits must be formed and it isn't easy but so necessary.

Look into joining a support group where members are facing the same challenges you are. Also, seeking help from a therapist will benefit you.

It has been said that WLS is performed on your stomach NOT your head. Yet the mental struggle is the hardest part. You have made an investment in your health and now it is time change your lifestyle. You can do it...one day at a time...one moment at a time. Good luck.

Debola
on 7/29/14 4:55 pm

One week out and you're already cheating?   STOP.  RIGHT NOW.

Download My Fitness Pal and log EVERYTHINGyou put in you mouth, and I do mean everything.  That will give you an honest idea of how much you're eating each day.

and start walking.  It doesn't have to be a lot, just do something every day.

drink your water...64 oz OR MORE!!

good luck!

White Dove
on 7/29/14 5:14 pm - Warren, OH

Has anyone explained that your old stomach was the size of a two-liter bottle of soda and your new sleeve is about the size of a pencil?  Do you realize that the new sleeve is composed of rows of staples that have not healed yet and can be burst open?

Do you understand that you can die if you break your sleeve open and fill up with blood?

Is this a death wish or just not informed?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 7/29/14 8:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I see this is your First post, and you just joined on 7/29.  So we don't know what surgery you had, your history, etc.

Be that as it may - you are headed for failure if you don't change your ways immediately.  Personally, I know if I eat too much or two fast, I get the "foamies" and one time I vomited.  I miss "lots of food" too.  I'm eating the right things, try to make my food tasty and not boring.  And there are times my dinner is so good, I want to eat more, and then some more......but I've learned to slow down, and recognize the warning signals.  Don't want to pay the consequences for overeating.  

If you don't commit to your surgeon's program, then yeah, you blew a substantial amount of money that could have been well spent on other things (if you self-paid).  Things like medical expenses for treatment of any co-mobidities, etc.

Hope you get the help you need - the ball's in your court.  No one else can make it work but you.

Good luck.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

glady
on 7/29/14 8:30 pm

I think you are aware of how dangerous your behavior is which is why you posted on this site to get some support you might to be to embarrassed to ask your doctor or family for. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed. It's a disease like gambling addiction and you have to face and rise above other people's judgements inorder to make this work. And you can do it! I'm saying this because I remember reading posts after surgery and some of them were too judgemental. Not in a bad way because its all true but at one point it upset me so much that instead of it being a wake up call it just terrified me. You are strong enough to fight through this and don't be ashamed. If binge eatng were easy to stop one day to another then I wouldn't have needed surgery. I see a therapist and when im feeling really low I go on this site. 

VSG on 06/12/13

To White Dove's point - a family friend's son had the sleeve done a few months before me. Wound up in the hospital for months, septic, nearly died. Spent additional months in rehab getting his strength back. Why? Because he couldn't follow plan and instead was eating kielbasa and sauerkraut a couple of weeks out. 

I am sincerely hoping your post is some sort of a sick joke, but if not, I recommend that the you get familiar with the function of the pyloric valve and understand that the pressure in the stomach has been increased greatly as a result of surgery. Liquids will pass right through, but the more solid the food becomes the longer it sticks around and the more the pressure increases. The staple line IS the weakest link at the moment. While you are right that "one bad day of eating" is a slippery slope, the stakes are higher now. Do what you need to do to get this straightened out.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Valerie G.
on 7/29/14 10:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't sweat it - today is a new day, and the solid food did not damage anything.  I was eating soft foods at the hospital before I was discharged, but many docs are more cautious these days about progressing food.  Your food choices weren't bad at all, really, all full of protein.  You probably ate too fast is all.  Now, back off and continue on your eating recommendations your doc gave you, knowing when you get to real food that you need to slow down.

When you get to eating real food, my strategy was to eat all of my protein as a goal, a couple bites of veggies, and reserve the last couple bites for whatever I wanted.   Maybe it was bread, maybe it was cake.  I didn't have enough room to get into trouble, and I never felt deprived.  It was perfect.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1209 views