The high cost of not having surgery....

Kathy S.
on 7/30/14 1:37 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We were eating buddies, my husband and I. Our entire lives revolved around eating and food.  He was 10 years older than me and always joked he didn't want me to feel I was married to an old fart.  Awwww, the pizza's, burgers, buffets, our favorite was Chi Chi's buffet. When I think of the amount of food we consumed it's no wonder they went out of business.

Flash forward 10 years...I had WLS he did not.  I changed the way I ate, he did not, I move to lose and he does not.  Now he can't if he wanted to.  He has had several stokes, TIA's, heart issues, knees are gone and he goes Friday to get the nerves in his back severed to stop the constant pain.  He eats very little now but with not being mobile he stays right around 300.  He is 67 and looks 97, everywhere we go people think I am his daughter.  I find him sad at times and he says you are stuck with an old crippled fart.  A day does not go by that he says he wished he had the surgery and or at least changed his eating habits while he had time.

I share this story with you not for sympathy but to empower you to get your loved ones on board, change the family eating and move as a family, bike ride, walking, skating anything.  I know, I know there will be push back but when they do think of this post and picture your loved one hunch over hardly able to walk and in constant pain.

Good luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

56sunShine14
on 7/30/14 2:43 am

I just wanted to chime in because I realize that your hubby's situation is taking a toll on you whether physical, emotional or both.  He cannot have WLS now? 

This is part of the reason I am revising.  Had I known about the sleeve 5 years ago, I would have done it much earlier.  But, I have been obese for 30 year, almost all of my son's life.  And I have known he has always been embarrassed by me altho he would never admit it.  Actions speak louder than words.

So, I made my decision and am so happy for it.  I hope something can change for your hubby.  He is lucky to have you.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Kathy S.
on 7/30/14 3:56 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the kind words.  No, there is no way he could have the surgery now, too many other health issues.  What do they say there by the grace of God go I.

Yes you are right, it's hard to keep me first in this situation and while I have put on some stress weight, I am so proud of myself I didn't let it get out of hand and put all my weight back on.  It shows if you live it you won't go back!

Take care,

Kathy

MyLady Heidi
on 7/30/14 3:41 am

Sorry Kathy.  This is the exact reason I don't understand why people who are MO and know the pain and suffering don't do everything to stop their children from following in their footsteps.  It saddens me when I see MO kids, it is abuse really, to let your children get so out of control, some every get type 2 diabetes.  My mother was the food police when I was a kid and I should have thanked her, I didn't gain weight until I got married and was miserable and knew I had made a huge mistake, I only compounded it with gaining weight and then really being miserable.  It is so sad what MO does to people, unless you lived it no one can understand.  I hope you husband can find some peace.

Kathy S.
on 7/30/14 3:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Heidi,

What cool boots are you wearing today? Love your boots LOL  

While it's so sad it's like a daily reminder to NEVER go back.  I look at my husband and I see myself there if I had not had the surgery.

Take care,

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 7/30/14 4:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Kathy - it makes me very sad to hear about your husband's health issues.  I'm so glad that my husband decided to have WLS a year after I did.  It's already made such a difference in how we think about ourselves and the things we do.  We're actually contemplating hiking - us, hiking??!  Amazing shift in reality.  

Wishing you all the best!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1483 views