birth control

rosie_mari
on 8/18/14 4:27 am

Hi everyone: I had surgery April 2013 so I am 15 months out. I have been on the ortho-evra patch since surgery and I am starting to have a reaction to the adhesive. I talked to my surgeon and she says I can go back to the pill. Has anyone gone back onto the pill with no issues, and which one are you taking.

NorthernHusky
on 8/18/14 4:37 am

hi sorry I don't have any advice on this.. just a question, did u ever try depo? I have an appointment on Wednesday and I need a new form of birth control as I am 2 months post opp and NOT wanting to get pregnant.

rosie_mari
on 8/18/14 8:58 am

I haven't tried Depo however I did talk to my surgeon and she said she advised against it because it does cause weight gain. For you it might work because your still losing weight I am at my goal weight.

Sent an email to my doctor:

I had my obgyn change my to ortho evra after surgery however the patches are starting to irritate my skin and fall off. I'm going to talk to my dr butt being 15 months out does it matter if it's the pill, shot or mirena? I just wanted to get your opinion to see if the pills will be better absorbed now or should I stay off them.

Here was my doctor reply

You can use any form of BCP at this point. Shots always tend to cause weight gain so I would stay away from them.  I imagine those patches would be irritating.  I would just change to the pill and take it with your vitamins every day.

glady
on 8/18/14 2:32 pm

I've been on the pill consistently throughout the process. Before after and during surgery (RNY). I haven't had any problems with the pill itself. I did speak to my gyno since the weight loss made my hormones all wacky. I skipped a period then I have had heavier periods. I'm on cryselle. The only concern my surgery doctor had was the absorbing of the pill but my gyno said I'm on the higher end of the dosage so I should be ok. 6months out and my period is very regular although heavy (could be because of iorn supplements) and I have been sexually active and had no surprises lol.

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

mobailey68
on 8/18/14 10:39 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

At my pre-op appointment my surgeon basically told me that birth control pills would not be reliable due to having rny and that if I was going to become sexually active that getting an IUD would be the best bet.

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

hl1524
on 8/19/14 12:38 pm - Austin, TX

I have used nuvaring for years. I'm currently waiting until cleared from the dr office to start using it again. The thought of iud is scary for me. I've read stories about people still getting pregnant even with iud. Yikes! 

Most Active