Hello, I'm new

KathyC--Kat-in-a-hat
on 8/19/14 10:47 pm, edited 8/20/14 4:26 am

Hi Everyone:

I have been reading posts for a couple of weeks now and thought I would (finally) say hello. *waves*

I will be having WLS sometime in the fall. I am leaning toward the gastric bypass, but I have not ruled out the vertical sleeve. I've been overweight since my mid twenties and have decided enough is enough...time to change.

Thanks for reading and see you around! 

Tracy D.
on 8/19/14 11:42 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the boards, Kathy!    The best way to educate yourself is read as much as possible on each surgery-specific board and use the search function (little magnifying glass at the top right) to look up old posts on certain topics you're interested in.  

Congrats on qualifying for surgery and getting a date! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jiliana2
on 8/20/14 12:17 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Just saying hi and welcome! Read, read, and read some more in these forums. The two surgery types are both excellent but one may be better suited to you than another, depending on your medical history.

Wishing you lots of luck as you absorb all this info and choose your own path!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Luvmygs
on 8/20/14 12:36 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Love your photo! I'm also on the fence and awaiting my surgery in the fall. I was leaning toward the RNY but my surgeon recommended me to have the VSG. I've been doing alot of research, reading the OH blog daily and attending WLS support group monthly. I'm starting to feel very good about the surgeon's decision. Good luck and stay in-tune with OH, these people are awesome and give out great advise and helpful information.

KathyC--Kat-in-a-hat
on 8/20/14 4:24 am, edited 8/20/14 4:24 am

Thanks for the replies. :)

I am waiting out the six month period that is required by my insurance and will be continuing my research. Searching for materials re: wls is what lead me to ObesityHelp and it has proven to be a valuable resource.  It is good to know I am not alone!

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/14 4:47 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Welcome!!! This is a great site I am finding :) I was very shy at first but then jumped right in!! Everyone is VERY supportive and offer great advice and tips and I love hearing their stories and struggles and how they have overcome them. 

I look forward to seeing you on the forums more :) 

MsBatt
on 8/20/14 5:04 am

Welcome! While you're researching, there's another form of WLS you should look into as well. It's called the Duodenal Switch, and it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats of all the currently performed procedures. It has the same small, fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to that of the RNY/gastric bypass.

Most Active