constipation

Savannah Davis
on 8/18/14 9:53 pm

Has anyone after having the vsg had issues with using the bathroom? I have never had this issue before and the last two weeks it has been very very hard to eliminate. 

Is this normal at all our should I be concerned?

Gwen M.
on 8/18/14 10:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

On mornings I don't poop, I add a dose of miralax to my morning shake. Constipation can be a result of a high protein diet and I think it's best to address the issue before it has a chance to get too bad. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jiliana2
on 8/18/14 10:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Echoing Gwen...

This is a common problem with a high protein diet. There are lots of things you can try to help yourself along. Some of the things a lot of us have tried (in combination with others, or as standalones) are:

• Miralax or store generic brand (excellent, and works pretty fast
  • Senakot or senna pills
  • smooth move tea
  • probiotics
  • Milk of magnesia
  • stool softeners

I had to play a bit to find a combination that works for me but it means I only have a bowel movement every few days (about 2-3 times per week) which seems to be enough for me. Everyone is different.

The only other advice I have is to talk to your clinic. I am sure they have suggestions and can give you advice; they've seen this before, GUARANTEED!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Sandra J.
on 8/19/14 6:34 am
VSG on 06/05/14

TMI ALERT:

Start talking to your doctor now!! I experimented on my own for a bit (stools softeners, Miralax [you have to be able to drink a lot of water] enemas and suppositories). After a few (2-3) weeks I was totally miserable. My hemorrhoids got extremely swollen and painful. The surgeons office only told me to keep taking the stool softeners and blamed my pain meds (I had already been off them for at least 2-3 weeks!) I wound up calling my PCP who started me on Amatiza. This in combination with the stool softeners seems to be working ok for me.

Key take away: Don't wait!! Figure out how to get it under control soon.

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

Lorrainecma
on 8/19/14 4:23 pm

I do not know many people who have a gastric surgery without the same issues. I use Miralax daily. It works.

twins4meplus1
on 8/20/14 6:16 am - St Thomas, Canada

Miralax (Restorolax, Lax-a-day, store brand) are all forms of polyethylene glycol 3350. This medication is used to treat occasional constipation. It works by holding water in the stool to soften the stool and increases the number of bowel movements. It is known as an osmotic-type laxative. This is not a stimulant laxative and my take a couple days to start working. You can mix it into almost any drink and it dissolves with no grit.

I take two doses per day as instructed by my GI doctor and it has been a saviour for me and a lot of my other weight loss surgery friends.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Lemily
on 8/20/14 6:23 am
VSG on 01/16/14

It is normal. My PCP asked me a very enlightening question - am i actually constipated or am i just not going. She said I do not eat enough in order to go all the time. I am usually very gassy at all times. That being said, I do use a stool softener every day, which helps it along every few days or so. I did stop b/c i ran out and its cheaper at a wholesale club which i just didnt have time to go too. It started the whole process all over again. Second, if I am constipated, i usually have a little more pain and discomfort rather than just not going. Then i will take a senna/senecot pill at night and it also helps things along the next morning.

BEfore trying anything on your own, i know its uncomfortable to talk to your surgeon about, but definitely give them a ring. They know your medical history better than anyone else.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views