New-just was approved for band to bypass revision-nervous and family is not very supporitve

llmas11
on 8/19/14 12:14 pm

I was banded in Dec 2010.  I initially had good success with the band but after a year I began to stop losing.  This was around the time that I began to get my food stuck daily, causing vomiting, a ton of gas pains, burning in my chest and heart palpuations.  I gained all of my weight back but 10 pounds because I began to turn to slider foods just to eat.  Overly frustrated and in constant pain I went to my surgeon to discuss removal or revision.  My insurance will not cover removal because my band has not eroded or slipped but will cover revision to bypass.  The office just called me today to schedule and I did set a date however I am nervous and scared.  I think that I should have had it done in the beginning and not even gotten the band but my family was against it.  My husband has the band and has had no problems and he is supportive because he sees what I go through every day but the rest of my family is not.  I think it boils down to them being scared.  Has anyone had a revision from band to bypass?  What have you experienced?  I am scheduled to see the surgeon on sept. 9th to fill out all of the necessary consents and talk to the dietician and surgery is scheduled for sept. 17th. 

Hislady
on 8/19/14 3:07 pm - Vancouver, WA

There have been hundreds if not thousands of revisions from the band to bypass, sleeve or DS because the band is a horrible product and has caused serious and in many cases like myself life long damage to people's stomachs and esophogus. You are wise to get it out as soon as possible and I will be surprised if your hubby doesn't end up with problems too. Men for some reason don't seem to have as much trouble but a few I know of have. You should go read the bypass, sleeve and DS forums and see how they are doing with revisions from the band. The vast majority are happy because those surgeries actually work, unlike the band which besides causing damage also doesn't work for most people.