Weight Loss Revision

Polywog
on 8/20/14 12:51 am

Thoughs?  In 2009, I had lapband surgery and aside from a few minor set backs was very successful on it.  I lost close to 90lbs, but in 2013 started having pains in my stomach and had to have the band removed due to the tubing wrapping around my intestines!  I have gained back a large portion of this weight and feel like crap physically and want to have a revision.  Next week I am meeting with my surgeon and will need to make a decision on whether to have the sleeve (I do have mild heart burn) or the by-pass.  Both surgeries scare me alot more than the band ever did, but the by-pass and the re-routing of intestines scares more than the sleeve.  I am torn about which one to have, but leaning toward the sleeve.  Anyone have thoughts?

Valerie G.
on 8/20/14 2:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

When you lost the 90 lbs, were you close to goal, or did you have a ways to go with it, still?

• If you were at or near your goal with the Lapband before complications, you would likely do very well with the sleeve.  All the sleeve does is reduce the size of your stomach by removing the stretchier outer curvature.  All working parts are there and operating as designed.
  • If you still had a lot more weight to lose, then the metabolic shift of the RNY may work in your favor.  The DS is another option to learn more about if you think about.  The malabsorption causes a change in the way our bodies metabolize food.  The big commitment aside from eating is paying close attention to our nutritional health.  Malabsorption does not have to equal malnutrition, and is an incredible tool with losing weight (with RNY for a year or two -- with DS forever)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Polywog
on 8/21/14 12:18 am

Thank you Valerie! I was close to goal and am leaning towards the sleeve.  My mild acid reflux is making the doctors suggest RNY. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/14 11:39 am

The RNY is not the ultimate fix for reflux, as you then risk dumping or reactive hypoglycemia, which to me, would be worse than mild reflux. 

I had severe daily reflux before surgery, and while I don't just have the sleeve, I do have the sleeved stomach as part of my DS. My surgeon makes a small sleeve with the DS, same size he makes a stand alone sleeve. While I do know of a few sleeved stomach folks that did end up with reflux, I know more that say it is now better. 

For me, the excess weight was what was causing my reflux. Weight came off, and I have not had even one instance of reflux in over 6 years. Many had a small hiatal hernia that was taken care of with their surgery, with also will help the reflux.

So, you may resolve mild reflux with RNY, but you WILL lose the ability to take NSAIDs for pain ever again, be on mandatory vitamins for life and may end up with dumping or reactive hypoglycemia. And you very well may resolve your reflux with the sleeve anyway.

Your surgeon sounds a bit like an RNY salesman, but you will be happier getting a surgery that fits your lifestyle. Only you can really weigh which risks and rewards may be worth it to you.

BCBILL
on 8/20/14 5:30 am

I am in the same boat. Had a lapband in 2011. I'm looking at having the sleeve in October and hoping to connect with someone that has done this or about to do it.

HarvestMoon1974
on 8/20/14 10:08 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I love my bypass. I'm maintaining a 190 lb loss, almost 9 yrs out. I had a plastics consult today, and the surgeon said I have no more weight to lose, it's really all skin. I was sooooo happy to hear that! I knew it was the case, but hearing him say it was awesome! Lol

I've had some bumps in the road, but still wouldn't change my decision to have the bypass.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Polywog
on 8/21/14 12:19 am

Congratulations!  That is awesome!!!

CLRodriguez2
on 8/23/14 12:05 am
Revision on 09/02/14

Hi harvestmoon

im on my liquid diet currently and surgery is scheduled for sept 2 for removal of band and intogastric bypass 

i know it's been a while since your procedure but if you have time I would love to hear about your experience and the bumps in the road you experienced.

thanks!

cynthia  

MelHunk
on 8/24/14 1:18 pm

That's awesome Cynthia.  I have a appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday.  I was banded in 2010 and have lost over 105lbs, but now I am always throwing up wen though my band has hardly any restriction.  It sucks and I'm always sick :-(. I have to try and convince the surgeon to revise my surgery.  Please let me know how you are once the surgery is complete.  Hope for a speedy recovery!

melissa 

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/14 10:50 pm

I'm an RNY er and if I had a do over I would choose DS .  Nothing more frustrating than inevitable regain two years post ... creeping regain when the body learns to accommodate the lesser calories .  DS does not do this .

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1521 views