Protein, fiber & other issues

dfmaam
on 8/20/14 7:33 am

So I am three weeks out from my surgery today. I had RNY on 7/23. Yesterday I spent 11 hours in the ER with impacted stool. Probably the worst experience of my life. 

I had had been focused on protein and water and not much else. Even if I hadn't had the constipation issue, frankly I wasn't doing that well keeping up with the 64 oz of water and 65 grams of protein per day. I've tried four different protein shakes and honestly I don't really like any of them. Before surgery, I could just chug gross things down. Now I can't, and it takes me forever to drink one. 

Anyway, I'm going to try a lot harder to make sure I get the water in, and I'm going to take Colace and Benefiber daily. I've read a lot of the posts on this subject and talked to the nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office and I'm hoping this will make me more regular. 

With the the time it takes me to get in the protein shakes daily, there really isn't time for me to eat any food. I'd like to stop worrying about the darn protein so much and was wondering if it would be so bad if I only got about 40-50 grams of protein in per day. Would that be so horrible? Does anyone know the consequences?

I'm going back to work next week and I don't know how I'm going to balance work with obsessing over water, fiber, protein, and vitamins. Plus it sucks that I don't even get to eat or drink things that are yummy anymore. 

Sorry for for the long, whiny, post. I guess I'm frustrated and overwhelmed.

Valerie G.
on 8/20/14 7:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Once you're cleared for regular food, find the food items that have the largest protein punch and perhaps you can dump some of that protein drink to the curb.  Ricotta cheese was my favorite go-to protein with 7g in just a quarter cup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

basilmk
on 8/20/14 10:46 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

First of all, try Mirilax. Until I used that, I had horrible problems. 

Secondly, I, too, get sick of shakes but still like to have one to jump start my day. I usually aim for more than required because I exercise a lot.

I mix a half scoop each of coffee flavored protein and a half scoop of chocolate, half milk, half water and some ice and make a pretty tasty moch frap. I often give myself a little squirt of SF whipped cream, too.  Its so good that I forget it's my shake.

Syntax Nectar also makes a variety of flavors. I don't like the huge tubs of powder they have so I get an assortment of the one serving packs and make all kinds of mixed up flavors.

Experiment. I also found that I like them better with only a half cup of milk and the res****er.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

dfmaam
on 8/20/14 10:54 am

Today I was really trying to get the water and protein in. I hid a skid though when I made my protein shake with two scoops of the EAS whey protein, 8 oz of water and ice, a half banana and a tbsp of pb. I got most of it down then felt horrible. I felt nauseous and wanted to throw up. I dry heaved a few times and hadn't been able to get any water down until about four hours later so now it's 9 pm and I feel like there's no way I'm going to be able to get the rest of my protein and water in. I guess I'll focus on getting the water in. 

I will will only have had 46 grams of protein today. I hope that's enough. 

I'm going to try to just mix the protein powder with water for now on. I think the thickness of the shake filled me up too much and made me queasy. 

kheinz
on 8/20/14 1:50 pm
RNY on 07/23/14 with

I make a large shake, 60 g of protein, but I drink it all day.  4 oz off and on, here and there.   Maybe that would help.

Eggface
on 8/21/14 12:32 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It will get easier and it will begin to not be as overwhelming.

Shakes aren't necessary but they are certainly easier on days that you don't feel like eating and still want a ton of protein (or days you want protein and fewer cals) - if you haven't tried Celebrate Vitamins ENS Shake I suggest it... nice for newer post-ops (has added fiber and some vits along with the protein) its great mixed with milk or water or in Greek yogurt. It's still one of my favs. Vanilla Cake Batter with a few blueberries soooo good.

Make shakes with Greek yogurt (frozen cubes) or cottage cheese.

You want to get your protein in but don't stress it's hard to meet goals in the beginning, aim for better than the day before. You will get there. WATER is really important as you found out (ouch) Dehydration is one of the main reasons for readmittance. 

Best to you, Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1496 views