Adjusting to my new lifestyle

Amy K.
on 8/21/14 10:53 am - Tucson, AZ

I'm 7 weeks post op from RNY on July 1st. I was back at work part time 2 weeks post op and feeling like I'm barely keeping my head above water trying to get everything done each day.    My boss was being really nice in letting me do some of my work from home until last Friday he told me "you look like you feel fine so its time to put all your hours in at the office, unless you can provide a doctors note".  We'll he's a jerk.. always has been.  I did as he asked and have been putting my 8 hours per day in at the office this week.  Today I woke up exhausted, complete with bags under my eyes and just looking tired.  The boss looked at me and asked how I was and told me I didn't look like I felt well.  Tomorrow afternoon I have my PCM post-op appointment and am thinking about asking my doc to put me on half days through the end of the semester.  Exercise and getting healthy are my priority, next my family, then work.  I feel like I'm getting the exercise and work part done, but my family is suffering because I come home so exhausted that I have no patience for anyone.  Also, part of me wants to stick it to my boss and let him figure out how to deal with me only working part time. 

I what I'm feeling typical, or am I just trying to do too much too soon?  Any advise here would be welcomed.  

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

poet_kelly
on 8/21/14 2:03 pm - OH

I think most people are able to be back at work by seven weeks out, unless they have complications.  I did have complications and I was unable to work for about three months and I work from home, mostly sitting on my couch with my laptop.

Many people do take more than two weeks off, though.

I think it was reasonable for your boss to ask for a doctor's note if you needed more time off.  That's typical of most employers, I think.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chelley0285
on 8/21/14 9:06 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

Good communication with your doctor about a realistic work schedule for you at this point should result in a note that will satisfy your employer for you to be off work or reduce your work schedule. Development of a blood clot sitting behind a desk for 8 hours post op is a danger to avoid. If you do go back to work you need to be free to get up and move around every hour. If this is against company rules, you might ask your doctor to include that recommendation in his/her note. Good luck.

Valerie G.
on 8/22/14 1:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You were way too ambitious going back to work so soon.  Now your boss is viewing you as a whiner and weak because you came in saying you could do the job, but now asking for coddling.  If your boss is a jerk like you say he is, this will probably not reflect well on your annual review, unfortunately.

It took me a good 5-6 weeks to recover from anesthesia and not be so listless, let alone all of the other things I had to figure out.  My job wasn't strenuous, but active, so I thought ahead and took a whole 8 weeks off.  When I returned I hit the ground running and never looked back.  Their impression of me - "That girl is tough as nails"

Your boss wants you FT, but you cannot handle it.  My recommendation would be a doctor's note having you off for another 2-3 weeks completely to finish your recovery, then go back to work FT with no coddling necessary.  That seems to be the only way your boss will be satisfied.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy K.
on 8/22/14 2:06 am - Tucson, AZ

Thank you for your reply.  I'm thinking exactly what you are thinking.  I now know I came back to work too soon and should have taken more time off at the beginning.  

I think if something has to give it should be work, not my family, which is who's suffering right now. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2