Help... Regain..

free4ever
on 8/22/14 11:52 am - Elizabeth City, NC

I am 5 years out and had a roller coaster of life events in-between.  Started at 311 and my lowest was 142.  I was fine with maintaining until I had a hysterectomy 2 & 1/2 years ago and have gained 40lbs.  My portions have increased but not significantly and I still don't eat sugar, fruit, or starches, no soda or juice, high protein and low carb.  My water intake is not the best and I drink coffee and tea, which really isnt an issue.  My structured exercise has decreased but I am not in-mobile, my job is extremely physical and unfortunately has an intense amount of stress, along with my personal stress.  I am on leave from work for a few weeks to try and pull myself back together, mentally, physically and otherwise, I need suggestions and advice on getting my body back in sync with my head and loss this extra weight.  I am starting to go through the same depressing feelings of worthlessness, failure and disgust on the look of my body.  Please, anyone that can help me I would appreciate it...

Kellie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/14 12:02 pm - OH

My recommendation for anyone experiencing regain is to go back to basics: a protein-forward, limited carb diet; lots of water (but never with, or right after, meals); limited portions (even if it means you need to measure them again for a little while.  Think about how you were eating at about 6-9 months post-op as a guide.

I think it is very helpful to measure and track your food for a couple of weeks just to be SURE that you are accurately judging your portion sizes and aren't eating more carbs or calories than you think you are.  It is so easy to let the portion sizes and carbs creep up as we get farther out.  The portion sized often LOOK the same but actually measuring shows otherwise.

I would also suggest doing something to address the stress and negative thoughts. Counseling might be useful, or you might just benefit from doing something like controlled breathing and stretching exercises to decrease your tension levels and maybe some positive affirmations to try to combat the negative thoughts.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

free4ever
on 8/22/14 12:30 pm - Elizabeth City, NC

Thanx..

Kellie

Aleknicole1
on 8/26/14 4:09 pm - Cleburne , TX
How do you reprogram your mind to stop the bad habits. Such drinking while eating, not counting calories, and why is it easier to eat like chips verses a healthy meal with like chicken? The only thing Ive noticed that my ban. Does is limit the amount of food intake thats it. If you still eat like you did before the surgery other than gorging you most likely do not have weight loss. I had the surgery but my head has not changed. Basically on one big diet. Another diet like all of the other diets Ive been on. Sorry venting and just worried what to do now almost four years later lost about 50 pounds still have 150 to go and thinking is all jacked up. HELP PLEASE....
Laura in Texas
on 8/22/14 11:15 pm

I agree with Lora. Get out the measuring cups and the food scale. Track every bite somewhere like myfitnesspal. Work on forgiving yourself for the gain and work hard to lose it. You can do it!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/14 10:37 am

Also - check your hormons, sometimes hormonal imbalace may casue insul resistance and then any extra calories we consume get converted to body fat.  Stress =too much cortisol= insulin resistance=weight gain if y o u get too many or wrong type of calories. 

I deal with stress by going to yoga, meditation, light exercise, and herbal supplements to help my body deal with stress.  Adaptogens, vit b's, tryptophan, minerals (calcium, magnesium,etc ) are really important to help body deal with stress for me. 

I also use bio identical hormones.  They really balance me.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active