Post surgery issues

Wildogg2005
on 8/27/14 4:39 pm

Had my surgery in feb 2013 and have had issues using the bathroom haven't had a solid BM and have developed a anal Fischer, has anyone had any problems like this yet? I could really use some advise.

Valerie G.
on 8/28/14 12:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What procedure did you have?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Wildogg2005
on 8/28/14 1:00 am

RNY

Valerie G.
on 8/29/14 12:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are several things that can cause this - so consulting with your surgeon would be a good idea to discuss with.  You should be due for some bloodwork too.  Stools will probably be soft rather than the solid consistency you had beforehand.  You shouldn't be running to the bathroom scared you're about to **** your pants, though.  On the other hand, consider it a blessing compared to those other RNY patients suffering constipation.  Some things you can try that might help:

• Add some fiber to your supplement regimen
  • Limit or eliminate artificial sweeteners (anything that ends in 'tol')
  • Take more calcium (this really makes a difference for me)
  • Eliminate dairy - especially straight milk first (straight milk tears me up)
  • Switch from whey protein to egg white protein (some are very sensitive to whey like other dairy)
  • Add a probiotic to your regimen or eat yogurt a couple times a day.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 8/28/14 6:17 am

Is this something new, or are you saying you haven't had a solid BM since surgery over a year ago?

Can you tell us what you're eating, and what vitamins and supplements you're taking? Do you drink milk, or protein shakes made with milk?

MsBatt
on 8/28/14 6:18 am

also, if you'd put your surgery type, date, and surgeon's name on your profile, it will show up each time you post. That's pretty much always info we need in order to give you answers that apply to your situation.

D66
on 8/29/14 12:31 am

How do you update your info..I can't seem to figure out how to add physician name and surgery type he wants to do.

Can you help me

MsBatt
on 8/29/14 8:03 am

It's been so long since I did it I don't remember how. (*blush*) I'm sure Member Services can walk you through it.