my surgery was 4 days ago, and, well, I am just HUNGRY....WHY?

Bonnie250
on 8/29/14 5:07 am
RNY on 08/25/14

i have heard so many post op people say things like " i am never hungry anymore," and "I forget to eat"  well i can tell you this girl is hungry as can be. Will I pu**** with over eating, or eating the wrong foods? of course not. But i had so little the last week POST OP as well as clear liquids on Sunday, nothing on Monday (day of surgery) and Tuesday & Wednesday clear liquids, yesterday (thursday) I started full liquids, so i had some soup. not much but some tomato soup (low cal low fat)....i was starving. I woke up this morning, had a protein shake and Panera Bread Cream of broccoli soup for lunch, but SLOWLY and a small AMOUNT. I feel fine, except for I feel like I could eat a 12 inch sub, with chips....starving..just starving ! WHY? i am upset with my self...Why am i so da%$ hungry? will this change?

Bonnie

MsBatt
on 8/29/14 7:55 am

Several reasons. For one thing, you've been starving yourself for several days now. The brain wants to be fed, NOW. (*grin*)

Another thing is---your poor stomach has been abused, its nerves irritated, and it's swollen. It's sending out all sorts of crazy signals.

Things WILL get better.

Bonnie250
on 8/29/14 8:20 am
RNY on 08/25/14

oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I needed to hear things will get better! 

Bonnie

MsBatt
on 8/29/14 12:32 pm
On August 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM Pacific Time, Bonnie250 wrote:

oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I needed to hear things will get better! 

LOL! If it stayed as bad as the first few days, no one would ever have WLS. (*grin*)

Everyone's experiences are slightly different, but I found everything was SO much better after the first four weeks. I was allowed to start regular foods at the beginning of Week 5, and that and getting my vitamins in made things much, much better for me. And now, almost 11 years out, I live a more 'normal' life than I ever did pre-op.

onyxboo
on 8/29/14 12:39 pm - WY
RNY on 08/22/14

I know my doctor said that I need to quit drinking water 30 mins before I eat and 30 mins after.  Said it was to keep the food in the stomach longer so you don't get hungry really soon.  You are probably doing this already but thought I'd chime in just in case.  Hang in there friend.

Bonnie250
on 8/29/14 10:07 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

i need to work on that.

Bonnie

jenorama
on 8/29/14 2:23 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was looking forward to never feeling hungry again too, but sadly that is not the case.  Even a couple days out of surgery, I was definitely feeling hunger, but I was satisfied with my little bit of full liquid.  You might be experiencing some head hunger too.  Your brain is used to being satisfied immediately when it asks for food, but now you have to retrain it.  Keep on keeping on and it'll get better.  :D

Jen

Bonnie250
on 8/29/14 10:08 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

i sure hope so...thanks

Bonnie

samhain
on 8/29/14 5:08 pm, edited 8/29/14 5:09 pm

You're definitely not alone! My surgery was on the 18th and not a day has gone by where I don't think about eating an entire pizza.

Bonnie250
on 8/29/14 10:11 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

so glad i am not alone. i fiqure as my weight reduces so will my need and want to fill the calorie load before surgery. I know getting on the scale will be a huge incentive seeing major lbs. gone~ I also think when i get on pureed foods and soft foots will be great...thanks for the reply

Bonnie

Most Active