Today is the first day of my new life.

Missourimedic
on 8/31/14 11:35 pm
VSG on 10/06/14 with

to day is the first day of my new life, because today is the start of the diet and the weight lose and workout program for my new life style change. I have my date set for the start of my MOVE program thru the VA but after reaching the VA requirements I have found that I need to lose a little of my BMI and weight to use there program. So today I start the diet and working out. Right now about the only workout that I can do is some walking,,  mainly because I become short of breath, tried, weak, sore, severe lower back pain, and just plainly out of shape, fat and lazy.

One of my biggest problems right now is which diet to use. I plan on restrict the amount of food and cal that I eat in a day. I am using myfitnesspal and have found that I am using about 7500 to 10,000 cal a day.

Any suggestions on the diet???? 

jenn1469
on 9/1/14 12:02 am

Well I would say drink 2-3 protein shakes a day and one healthy meal. You can add in 2 healthy snacks like Pickel or string cheese. And keep walking that'sgreat .  Good luck to you

Jennifer

Bette B.
on 9/1/14 2:08 am

IMHO? Use whatever diet you can actually follow. I had to do a low-fat, 1000 cal a day diet for two weeks before my surgery and found it surprisingly easy. There were very few things I didn't eat. A lot of protein (fish, chicken and shrimp) and lots of steamed veggies with a low fat sauce.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 3:13 am, edited 9/1/14 3:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I started major lifestyle change in January and had my surgery (VSG) in March.  I decided to swap out the meals I didn't eat with other people (breakfast and lunch most days) with protein shakes.  That worked out really well for me and I lost 25 pounds pre-op.  I still ate a "normal" dinner, but as time went on I certainly found that I made better choices.  I also switched toward a more Paleo way of eating which is protein forward with an emphasis on "real" foods.  

Walking is awesome exercise.  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 9/1/14 4:22 am

Explain, please---what do you mean you are "using' about 7500 to10,000 calories a day? Do you mean you are burning that many??? How many calories are you EATING???

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 3:32 pm

Hey, if you have no preferences I think japanese or south beach diet will be good. It makes you feel full and it is quite tasty.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/1/14 11:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Our stats were pretty similar. I weighed more, but am taller. I was 6'3", 475, with a BMI of 59.4. I'm now 185, with a BMI of 23.1

It's great that you started tracking your food. Track it all, every bite. Don't estimate, use a kitchen scale to weigh your food. I never tracked until after surgery, but wish I had started sooner.

Right now, it dosn't matter what diet you use, as long as you eat less. Your weight may fluctuate daily. 5 pounds out of 440 is really just a rounding error. But if you stick to a plan of lower calories, any plan at all, you will lose over time. Just not day to day.

Pick a plan you can live with. What can you cut out without missing it horribly? What can't you cut out, at least right now? You don't need to be perfect at this point. Just cut back. When I started, I ate any amount of meat I wanted, cut out sweets by 90%, and cut out bread and potatoes. This worked for me, because it was something I could live with.

I topped out at 475, and day of surgery I was down to 359. For big guys, losing a lot before surgery helps you get to your goal. A good running start really helps gain momentum.

Good luck. This is a long road, and a lot of work, but absolutely worth it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.