Sweets Sweets and more Sweets

Tammy H.
on 9/1/14 9:44 pm - Greenville, OH

Why does my brain think it wants/needs sweets all the time ?  Anything from cookies, to donuts, to chocolate bars, and cake...I know that these foods aren't good for me, so why do I continue to want them?  I am Leader of a weight loss support group, and I give all kinds of helpful hints, and suggestions on ways to eat healthier, so why can't I take my own advice?  I have put weight on because of my bad choices...Its so frustrating...If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it...Thanks!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

purplequeeny
on 9/1/14 11:04 pm - Mc Calla, AL
VSG on 06/12/14

I was a sweetaholic prior to surgery.  Now it seems like I  have sweets all day and I never want to eat the bad sweets.  I have my protein shakes which are sweet tasting when I add sugar free jello or something in it... or protein bars...and I have gummy vitamins..chocolate calcium chews and gummy fiber everyday.  That is what works for me.  Find what works for you.  Good luck :)

HW 350 SW 309 CW 150 Surgery 06/12/14 I admit I'm a scale addict.  My life is now amazing and God is guiding me thru every step of the way.

Tracy D.
on 9/2/14 5:32 am, edited 9/2/14 5:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

For me it's a physical and psychological addiction.  It's been proven that sugar stimulates the same centers in the brain that are stimulated by alcohol, drugs and sex.   I'm the type of person that can't have "just one" of anything with sugar in it....so I have to stay completely away.  When I don't, I pay the price by experiencing an escalating need for more and more and more.  For some people, eating refined sugar sets off incredible cravings for more and more.  One is too many and 100 will never be enough.  You sound like one of those people too. 

I also go to Overeater's Anonymous because they are the only people on the planet that "get it".  If you haven't checked into OA, I would highly recommend it.    

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tammy H.
on 9/3/14 7:05 pm - Greenville, OH

Thanks to you and everyone else for the comments, and great advice...It sounds to me like the best thing for me to do is do away with sugar in my diet because I agree with what you said about * one is too many and 100 will never be enough*...So I am basically setting myself up for bad weight gain and disappointments...I don't know if there is an Overeater's Anonymous here locally in my area...I am founder of our weight loss support group called * Little by Little* that meets once a month...I am always searching for new ideas, and programs to help others in eating healthy, making good choices, and etc...Guess its time that I listen to myself....Thanks again for everyone's help.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

A. Kondrlik
on 9/2/14 7:21 am
VSG on 01/24/13
  1. Life in general has been pretty stressful recently.  I find myself thinking that something sweet (actually anything involving frosting)  would make me feel SO much better.  Then I remember how it used to be that that longing was never really satisfied no matter how much crap I put in my mouth.  I am trying (struggling) to find alternate coping mechanisms, but it is really hard.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

lrm1986
on 9/2/14 10:07 am, edited 9/2/14 10:08 am

Sweets are so hard to break a strong hold. I am a diabetic, I get here is by loving sweets. I don't have my surgery until next Tuesday, however the LSD has been a challenge since I can't have any sweets. I hear the longer you can go without them the easier it's suppose to get...not sure how true that is. Sometimes using artificial sweeteners makes me crave them more. To be honest I think it's more mind or matter....The only thing Ive found that helps it just not putting in my mouth. I wish I had better advice, that's a bad thing to love! 

KathyA999
on 9/2/14 3:45 pm

For me it's a physical thing - certain things I eat can trigger cravings.  That includes grains (whole or otherwise), SF gum, chewable vitamins (they usually have sugar), and of course any sugar, including things like ketchup and processed salad dressing if I eat enough of it.  (I make my own ranch dressing and mayo, so I can avoid the sugar in the store-bought.)  Even SF powdered drink flavorings (crystal lite and the like) and packets of some SF sweeteners have something in them that can set me off.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

White Dove
on 9/3/14 10:15 pm - Warren, OH

I believe if white sugar and white flour were never developed and were to be introduced and evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration today, they would never be allowed for human consumption.  They are addictive, cause weight gain, tooth decay, diabetes, clogged arteries, hyperactivity, sickness and death.

In the 1800's the Pima Indians in Arizona were strong, healthy farmers.  Then the white settlers disrupted their water supply and the Pima people were no longer able to farm. They were forced to live off of the government supplied sugar, flour, and lard.  They quickly became a tribe of overweight and sick people.

Cookies, doughnuts, chocolate bars and cake can all be made at home without sugar or flour.  My strategy is to eat them when I want them, but to make them myself with healthy ingredients.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active