Upset gastric band after taking pain killers and antibiotics

Hannah1986
on 9/15/14 11:46 pm

Hello I had my gastric band put in on 31st January 2014, I had no real problems with it and have been getting on well with it. I've lost 55 lbs in total for which I am very pleased. I had a dental procedure on Friday for which I was prescribed codydramol and antibiotics. Since then I have not been able to tolerate food and even some liquids are hard to tolerate. I have been advised by the nurse to do liquids only for 2 days to give the swelling around the band chance to heal, I've also had a lot of left shoulder pain. Has anyone had anything similar? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks xx

Nic M
on 9/16/14 3:13 am

It would appear that co- drydramol can cause some symptoms like you're experiencing: 

• Abdominal pain - may be caused by spasm of the bile ducts and inflammation of the liver or pancreas

Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects or notice any other effects not listed:

• Gastrointestinal system - stomach irritation (mild stomach pain, heartburn and feeling sick), constipation, feeling or being sick, loss of appetite, dry mouth, difficulty in the passage of food through guts.

***********************************************************************************************************

It might be exacerbated because of the gastric band. Hopefully if you do the liquid diet, the swelling will go down and you'll feel better soon.  The left shoulder pain is probably due to the Vagus nerves being irritated by your swollen gut. I would avoid taking that painkiller again, personally. The more often you get referred left shoulder pain, the more likely it is to become a recurring problem. 

Maybe try applying heat to your shoulder and/or abdomen (right around the diaphragm, under the ribcage- area.) It might help with relieving some of the pain. I hope you feel better soon. 

~Nic

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hannah1986
on 9/16/14 3:18 am

Thank you so much I have stopped taking them since Sunday so hopefully should get better soon thanks again x

Kate -True Brit
on 9/16/14 6:22 am - UK

A long time banded person had very serious issues after taking an anti-bio capsule. The pharmacist said it would be OK if it accidentally dissolved above the band but it turned out he was wrong! It did dissolve above the band and it turned out to be corrosive, designed to dissolve in the more acidic and tougher stomach.

the tissues at the base of her oesophagus swelled so badly she couldn't swallow at all and her breathing was very restricted. She went to ER as an emergency. It took several days to settle. 

I now never take any anti-bios in solid form. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,