Has anyone post op ate carbs and lost weight?

NikkyBeauty
on 9/16/14 2:55 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Just curious? A friend of mines is about 9 weeks post op DS surgery and was put on a strict no carb diet! IMO she's not doing good with the lifestyle change and is eating carbs! I try to be supportive but idk what to tell her! She says she is hungry all the time still and has cravings! She has already lost 45lbs but struggling now any suggestions??

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

kathkeb
on 9/16/14 3:29 pm

Honestly, your friend should be getting nutritional advice and guidance from her medical team and not expecting you to advise or police her.

If she is hungry on the plan she was given, she should call her surgeons office and talk with him or his staff.

Also, it takes a whole to detox from sugars (simple carbs), and the cravings will last a while ... Longer if she keeps giving in to them.

It may be time to suck it up, go cold turkey and get past the cravings.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 9/16/14 5:50 pm - UK

At 9 weeks post-op her body is still adjusting and it is what her doctor tells her that matters. Later on, she can start to work out what is right for her. I have always eaten carbs but I don't have the DS. 

If she is finding it too difficult, she needs to tell her doctor or nutritionist 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 9/16/14 7:47 pm - OH

I imagine everyone eats some carbs post op.  We need some carbs for our health and it would be very difficult to eat no carbs at all, since there are carbs in so many foods, including skim milk, beans, fruits and veggies.  If she has really been advised to eat a strict no carb diet, I suggest she seek another opinion from a registered dietician.

But to answer your question, yes, I ate carbs post op and lost 150 lbs.  My surgeon's plan included protein shakes made with skim milk, yogurt, fruits and veggies.  I also ate a lot of different types of beans for protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NikkyBeauty
on 9/16/14 8:57 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you for answering the question!

JazzyOne9254
on 9/17/14 4:22 am, edited 9/17/14 4:31 am

NikkyBeauty:

I have had the DS for 5.5 years, and the one thing that keeps simple carbs and simple sugars out of my life is the horrendous *GAS* (it could be a war weapon!) and diarrhea that comes with eating them.

The first year is the best year to get the eating plan down pat.  Encourage your friend to fill up on protein, which we need a lot of, and instead of eating junk, fix herself a nice sweet protein shake, if it's the sweetness she's craving.

Some find the pre-flavored ones distateful, and I learned early out to make my own flavors, using extracts, my choice of  sugar-free sweetener, and unflavored whey protein isolate. At first I also used lactose free milk for the shakes, but now I use whole milk with no problem. (Skim/fat-free milk use is discouraged)  For me, this also had the effect of neutralizing the lactose in the milk, since many DSers come out of surgery lactose intolerant.  I was going in, so I will always be, but for those who weren't until the surgery, according to my surgeon, it will go away eventually.  Also, whey protein isolate is more tolerable for those who are L.I.

Complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) have a place in the DS eating plan, but low to moderate intake to maximize weight loss, is what I found worked for me. Once you have achieved your goal and/or your body has settled where it likes to be, then a few more carbs can be added to maintain weight without losing more.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

NikkyBeauty
on 9/17/14 10:01 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank u hun! Awesome advice I'll make sure to share this with her'

NikkyBeauty
on 9/16/14 8:56 pm, edited 9/16/14 8:58 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Ok ppl don't shoot me I was just asking! I mean the whole point of me asking was because she wanted to know if ppl who have had the surgery have eaten carbs and still lost weight! But thanks for the responses!

Kate -True Brit
on 9/17/14 1:38 am - UK
On September 17, 2014 at 3:56 AM Pacific Time, NikkyBeauty wrote:

Ok ppl don't shoot me I was just asking! I mean the whole point of me asking was because she wanted to know if ppl who have had the surgery have eaten carbs and still lost weight! But thanks for the responses!

I'm a bit lost! Did my reply come across as "shooting you"? It was simply intended as a response to your question.

1. Has anyone eaten carbs post-op? My answer - yes, I did!

2. As someone who hasn't had surgery, you say you don't know what should be happening.  Answer- doctors and nutritionists differ. Your friend needs to ask hers!

KathKeb and Poet-Kelly were also only trying to help!

not sure how else we could answer!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NikkyBeauty
on 9/17/14 10:12 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Look! All I did was ask a damn question it was simply did you eat carbs and lose weight yes or no? She wanted advice from ppl who have had the surgery not doctors  and not from me because I'm pre op I said IMO which clearly means (MY OPINION) I felt like she was struggling because she tells me she is still hungry and craving stuff and y'all went all left with the ****! But look I'm not here to argue with nobody! Maybe I shared too much info when the question was just yes or no which made y'all go left instead of just answering the question! But I appreciate all the response's 

Most Active