Medicaid (Share of Cost)

bdorozynski86
on 9/17/14 1:45 am - Middleburg, FL

So I started this journey last year in May and Im still waiting for surgery. My first attempt was through Aetna. I went through two week pre-op and on the day before my scheduled surgery the doctors office called to tell me that they denied because they require two years of reported weight loss attempts, I have a year. I was heart broken, not to mention I'd been following the strict liquid diet now for two weeks. So I left that job and picked up Medicaid because of my new income. I have a share of cost now and Shands in Gainesville won't touch me, even though I have everything completed on their list. The psych eval, a year and a half now of reported weight loss, seen the nutritionist, and completed all my labs. Please help. Ill drive anywhere in the state to get this surgery, please give me some pointers or tell me if you know any doctors that will take Medicaid Share of Cost. Thanks so  much

Member Services
on 9/17/14 8:05 am - Irvine, CA

Hi,

We are so sorry for all you have been through.  As we mentioned on the email, call the number on the back of your card and ask them to give you the names of the state approved surgeons to do WLS.  Also, try calling some of the larger university hospitals and see if they accept your insurance. Sometimes they do but there may be a waiting list.  

Here is a link to a list of all surgeons for FL.  What insurance's they accept can change daily so give them a call and see if they take your insurance and if they don't be bold and ask if they know of any surgeons that do.  If you do find a surgeon be sure and check them out to make sure they are safe and experienced in the procedure you are interested in.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/find/bariatric-surgeon/FL/

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Most Active