Are Artifical Sweeteners the Cause of Rise in Type 2 Diabetes?

White Dove
on 9/17/14 11:28 pm - Warren, OH

A study published on WebMD yesterday is raising a rather frightening possibility.  They found that artificial sweeteners raised blood sugar more than drinking water with sugar.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140917/artificial-sweetener s-blood-sugar

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/14 12:11 am

That may have to so with SIBO. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  I suspect i have that - since i do deal with severe RH, rosacea, food alleries, intolerance, plus add some trigger point pain (like fibromyalgia- though very localized at trellis point) 

Google that - SIBO - for more info. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chilipepper
on 9/18/14 12:25 am, edited 9/18/14 12:26 am

I was told years ago that it triggers your brain to think its suger and so your body reacts the same way. 

I rarely use an equal but my mother has always used the pink packs(sweet and low) a small addiction to them in fact. She has diabetes 2. She weighs 120 lbs. I was almost 350 and wasn't pre diabetic. Sugars were never what I craved. 

This is just my observation from personal experience. 

If I am going to have anything sweet I use regular sugar, which is rare. . I avoid the packs.  Splenda is the devil. People think its healthy. It's sugar! 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kate -True Brit
on 9/18/14 12:27 am - UK

I have read quite a few articles about this over the last couple of years. Can't help wondering if it is going to be like the great fat scare.  We were told FAT IS BAD; then "they" changed "their" minds.  Then we were told sugar is the devil; go for other sweetening options. Now people are beginning to say the effect of artificial sweeteners on the body messes with insulin production. 

I actually have always preferred a small amount of real sugar to chemical sweeteners. Just have things less sweet than I used to. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NYMom222
on 9/19/14 12:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

This has been part of my concern with this whole WLS process. haven't been able to avoid artificial sweetners. The doc wants me to use one that have less than 5g of sugar, so that means artificial. I've been off them for about 4 years because I found it made no difference in my weight. I do use stevia occasionally since the surgery but don't like that either yuck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save