Lap Band or Sleeve...

MisterMoose
on 9/18/14 10:24 am

New member to this Group-- considering WLS, and my initial opinion was that the reversible and less invasive Lap Band was more appealing   However, it seems as if the Sleeve is now much more popular.  I would appreciate feedback/recommendations  from others.

Bette B.
on 9/18/14 10:45 am

I love my band, have done very well with it and would still choose it, based on all available options. But you won't find very many positive experiences, for a number of reasons.

You should evaluate all the WLS options and see which fits best with your life/lifestyle, medical issues, etc.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you on your journey.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 9/18/14 10:46 am - OH

While the lap band can be removed, it can and not infrequently does cause irreversible damage to the stomach and sometimes other organs.  I also think it's actually more invasive than the sleeve when you consider the fact that most people end up needing a second surgery in less than 10 years to remove or replace the band.  With the sleeve, you'll probably only need one major surgery.  With the band, you are almost certain to end up  needing another down the road

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missourimedic
on 9/18/14 10:48 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

What are your stats what are you wanting to lose. There are so many thing to consider in this. I choose the sleeve because I have a BMI of 60 and want to lose 250 pounds. My surgery is schedule for 10/6/2014 with Dr Lopez.

Also are you using your insurance, self pay or what? That may decide for you

MisterMoose
on 9/18/14 12:05 pm

6'3 320 lbs./ BMI 40. I would like to loose about 80 lbs.

tstowe
on 9/19/14 1:32 am
On September 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM Pacific Time, MisterMoose wrote:

You aren't too far away from me. I'm 6'1" and was 320 before I started my pre-op diet.

I chose the sleeve because a buddy of mine I played football with got the sleeve. It has the least follow-up. Mostly, blood-work every three months. I had the surgery on September 1 and it feels great. I'm not hungry, the incisions have about healed, and I'm looking forward to splitting a 6 oz. steak with my wife in a few months (she had it done the same day).

I got the sleeve and so far... it's been pretty easy.

MisterMoose
on 9/19/14 3:08 am

tstowe,

Since we are similar size, and you have just recently completed your surgery, I would really appreciate to get more of your feedback:

How long did you procedure take?   Outpatient, or did you stay overnight?

What are you eating right now?    How is your energy level?  

Do you have any psychological effects afterwards?  Depression, feel like you are missing out on certain foods, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

eringudge
on 9/19/14 5:27 am
RNY on 07/28/14

Just jumping in here. It is NOT an outpatient procedure. This is a major surgery. I had RNY and I was in the hospital for two days, off work for two weeks. 

I would recommend that you attend an information seminar at your local surgery center to get the most accurate and in depth information you need. Do LOTS of research to make sure you have the best information. 

I would not recommend the band to anyone. My surgeon only does them if it is a matter of life or death and none of the other procedures are possible. 

tstowe
on 9/20/14 7:07 am
On September 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM Pacific Time, MisterMoose wrote:

tstowe,

Since we are similar size, and you have just recently completed your surgery, I would really appreciate to get more of your feedback:

How long did you procedure take?   Outpatient, or did you stay overnight?

What are you eating right now?    How is your energy level?  

Do you have any psychological effects afterwards?  Depression, feel like you are missing out on certain foods, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I had to pay for it myself, so I had it done at the Mexciali Bariatric Center in Mexico. (It was less than half the price of having it done at home.) Actually, my wife and I had it done together on the same day.

The procedure took about two hours. 

It was more than overnight. Surgery was on Monday and I left on Thursday morning.

• Surgery Day - After the surgery in recovery...hell. But then morphine. Then happy, happy, happy.
  • Second Day - LOTS of gas pains. Pretty miserable the whole day.
  • Third Day - MUCH better. Still not great.
  • Fourth Day - Felt a little bad that morning but by noon I actually felt normal.

Right now, just got to the soft food stage. I had a poached egg this morning and two ounces of chicken salad for lunch. For a snack after lunch I had two ounces of fat free cottage cheese mixed with no sugar jelly. For dinner, two more ounces of meat and two ounces of a veggie... BUT I'm not hungry...ever...I eat because I need to. I could easily skip it and not mind (First time I've ever thought of skipping a meal!)

Energy level on the clear liquids...non-existent. I was out of work for two weeks and a trip to Wal-Mart required a nap afterwords. Full liquids, energy got a lot better. I haven't been on the soft food stage long enough to tell.

Psychological effects? Nothing really. I'm pretty good at doing things once I have to. My wife has had a few moments...but they were just moments (she's not a fan of soup to start with). Would like to have a thick steak and potato? Yes. But I'd rather be thin. Not walk away from a trip to buy close pissed because nothing will fit. And I want to make sure I see my six year old graduate from high school and college.

Now, keep in mind that I'm just under three weeks since surgery, but if I had to do it again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

MsBatt
on 9/19/14 7:03 am
On September 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM Pacific Time, MisterMoose wrote:

Then the Sleeve should be an EXCELLENT choice for you.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1491 views