Unsure

HeatherHoy
on 9/19/14 4:14 am - Crestwood, MO

This is my first post on here and in reality this is my first time coming out as admitting that I am obese. I'm 5'8" and weigh over 300lbs. My father's side of the family is on the larger size (bone structure and in weight) and there are a few members of my mother's side that are on the larger side (because of weight). On both sides of my family there is history of diabetes, heart failure, thyroid issues, breast cancer, acid reflux, heart disease and the list goes on and on and literally on.

Did I mention that I am only 27?

I'm seeking advice, help, encouragement...something. I don't know what to do. Over the course of my life I have dieted, had personal trainers, ate only 1000 calories a day, starved myself...even resorting to bulimia or anorexia. I tried sleeping all of the time. Soup only. Liquids only. Nothing helps. I'll lose 30-50lbs and as soon as I ease myself off whatever extreme thing I am on, the weight comes back.

I can't stand myself anymore. I am a hairstylist. I am supposed to care about my appearance and I don't.

I also got news that I am pre diabetic. My numbers from my blood work never look amazing but they are starting to look worse. I don't want to die when I am 40.

So I need advice, even if it is harsh. Does bypass surgery change your life around? Is there something I am missing?

Missourimedic
on 9/19/14 4:46 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

I know how you fell. I am a little older than you but have been overweight my entire life. Just like you after several failed attempts to keep the weight off I have go to the realize that I will be died in a few years if I don't do something about it. So to make a long story short my insurance refuses to play for WLS (weight loss surgery), I am a Vet and can have it done thru the VA but I think that it will take to long to do and that is if I am even approved by then (6 to 12 months before I would know and have the surgery) so I decided to do the self pay and go to Mexico. My surgery is 10/6/2014 in Tijuana I fell very confident that there will be no problems with the surgery.  

You need to ask you self how bad you want to change your life. If you decided  to have the surgery then you need to know if your insurance will pay for it. If it does there is a lot of pre-op things that you have to have do.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/19/14 5:25 am, edited 9/19/14 5:26 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Welcome Heather  

I'm 52 and had the VSG in December 2013.  I was morbidly obese for years.  I've tried every diet on the planet and could always lose some weight.  But when I stopped the diet, the weight came back on like a runaway train, plus added more weight every single time.

The sad truth is that straight dieting is ineffective for long term weight loss.  I never wanted to have surgery to finally deal with my weight issues, but it got to the point where I had pain in my knees every day, was taking a lot of different prescriptions, had high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea, pre diabetic, fatty liver disease and a history of colon cancer.  I decided that I did not want to live the rest of my life sitting in a chair.  

It was the best thing I've ever done for myself.   I wish I had done it sooner.  I'm 5'-7" so I know what 300 pounds on your body feels like.  It's miserable.  WLS gives you better odds to keeping the weight off long term.  It isn't a miracle cure however.  You will always have to be diligent (so the vets on here tell us), but it can be done.  It has changed my life in so many ways.  I can go anywhere and fit into chairs.  I can walk long distances without pain in my knees and back.  I can buy clothes in stores rather than ordering them online because nothing ever fit.

I highly recommend it.  But your mind has to be ready for this.  I've also been in therapy to deal with my issues that helped me to pack on the pounds over the years.  It makes a big difference to help you get through the process.  An adage that's thrown around here often is that "They operate on your stomach, not your head" and it's very true.  The surgery is only a tool, but the real struggle is how you chose to change what you put into your body.  WLS can fail if you continue to eat the wrong things.  

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MsBatt
on 9/19/14 7:13 am

Please also research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, AND the best stats for resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol. It also has the most liberal post-op 'diet' and, in my opinion, offers the most 'normal' post-op lifestyle. Of course, I'm prejudiced---I chose the DS almost eleven years ago, and I'm happy as a clam. (*grin*) I'm also not diabetic, have a total cholesterol around 115, and can still take NSAIDs for my arthritis.

Mary Gee
on 9/19/14 7:41 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Surgery can change your life.

You're young, and you should look into it now.  Do it now before your body is damaged beyond repair.  I'm 62 and just had surgery a few months ago.  I was in misery for years because of my weight -- physically and emotionally.  You will save yourself a lot of pain if you address your weight now.  Most people here will tell you they tried every diet imaginable, without success.  You lose weight, and gain it all back, plus more.  WLS is a tool - it helps you get the weight off, and keep it off, if you use the tool right.

So please, read the boards here - you will learn so much about the different surgeries available, the challenges, the joys, etc.  Read the information under "Resources" at the top of the page.  Read about NSVs (Non-Scale Victories) and you'll see how WLS has changed peoples lives.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Valerie G.
on 9/19/14 9:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I too, was a champion dieter, only I didn't get near the results you achieved (if you want to call it that).  My extreme diets would only stall my gaining.  I knew my body's metabolism was shot, so I needed something drastic to kick myself in the pants.  I chose the Duodenal Switch over the gastric bypass to change my body's metabolism once and for all.  

There are some significant life changes with any weight loss surgery, mostly centered around your eating and nutrition.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bonnie250
on 9/19/14 11:55 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Yes. Bypass surgery WILL change your life for the better. MUCH MUCH Better!!  Your health will improve, I hope you consider at least talking to a Bariatric Surgeon....

Bonnie

NYMom222
on 9/19/14 12:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am not that far out, but as I struggled with my decision I asked people who had had it awhile ago were they still happy they did it. The overwhelming answer was yes. My niece had gastric bypass  10 years ago when she was 25. She has kept off 125 pounds. I also attended support groups and met people and asked them. Go to a seminar or two with a local surgeon and listen. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Massage_lady
on 9/20/14 12:16 am

Hello Heather,

I too am 5'8" and when I was 27 weighed in at about 270lbs. I am now 37 and weigh in at about 330lbs.  When I was 27 I looked into WLS. I went to a seminar and listened to what the surgeon said. I got so frustrated and scared that I was doing something way too drastic.  I had worked out my entire life, played sports in high school. Went on several diets and saw nutritionists. I couldn't go through with it back then.  I thought I should be able to do this. I fought very hard for the last ten years. I worked out with tough trainers, I joined a triathlon training group and actually did 2 super sprint triathlons, all at 300lbs or more.  I am a massage therapist, I promote health and wellness. I am sometimes embarrassed that I proclaim that to my clients and, on the outside, am not portraying that myself. I have decided on WLS because despite every effort to be healthy and fit I am still 330lbs. My numbers have been good up until now. My family has HBP, cholesterol problems, sleep apnea, breast cancer, obesity. My recent blood work is showing that my LDL is elevating. My feet hurt everyday. I have a bad knee. I get tired more now than ever. 

This is a very tough choice. But the choice has to be yours and yours alone. Do the research. I have been logging in to this forum for a month now and it has helped me so much. I am trying to decide between sleeve and bypass. Because my activity level and my age I lean toward the sleeve because I worry about the absorption issues with the bypass.  The bypass sounds like a good option as well. not that either will be easy, and knowing that this surgery is just a tool. I will continue to fight, because I am worth it...and so are you!

Ladytazz
on 9/20/14 12:55 am

If you were my daughter and looking into WLS I would steer her towards the VSG.  At your age I would want her to avoid malabsorption.  You sound like you are able to lose weight when you diet, it's just sticking to a diet that's the problem.

The VSG will give you a tool to help you eat better but the rest is up to you.  Starving yourself will make your metabolism sluggish but it doesn't sound like you are there yet.

The VSG is not reversible so it is a major commitment but the supplement requirements are not daunting, either.  

Before any of my kids went under the knife I would hope that they would begin the work to deal with the eating issues that led to morbid obesity in the first place.

WLS is an operation on our body but for me the problems starts in my mind.  I rarely ate when hungry.  Rather, I ate to avoid hunger.  I had a tremendous fear of experiencing hunger and a big addiction to refined carbs such as sugar and white flour and any combination thereof.  For me it is an addiction but others just have been eating habits or eat healthy but just too much.  It is up to you to figure out where you fall and what will be different with WLS, aside for the ability to eat smaller portions and be satisfied.  Being physically full or satisfied with food didn't not mean I didn't want more before surgery.

I wish you well in your journey.  Yes, it will change your life.  YOU will change your life.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active