Gastrtic by-pass and pain

didi2645
on 9/22/14 4:06 pm - Orange, CA

Surgery is one week away, just now I'm wondering about post pain.  Will there be pain pills?

AngryViking
on 9/22/14 10:15 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

YMMV, but my pain was minimal.  I think I had a couple of Percocet that first day in the hospital but after that, no pain killers were necessary and my doctor didn't prescribe anything.

Price S.
on 9/22/14 10:23 pm - Mills River, NC

They will give you pain meds in the hospital but I didn't come home with any and didn't need any.  Kind of felt like I had been run over by a truck but nothing specific. 

I did sleep in the recliner for the first few nights then had to figure out multiple pillows for support when I finally got in bed.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Racewalker48
on 9/23/14 12:10 am
RNY on 02/17/14

You will have to ask your surgeon about what you will get at discharge.  I was given pain meds at discharge.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/14 12:22 am

I was given pain pills. I needed them first couple of days, and then maybe one at night for a few days.  But my friend was in much more pain and she not only used all of hers but she got extra.  We are so different, and how much pain there is depends on a person and sensitivity. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tigerdmw
on 9/23/14 1:28 am

They kept me pretty much in a stupor for most of the week I was in the hospital.  The pain was insane for me.  Sent me home on pain meds but only needed them for a day or two.  I felt like CRAP when I got home but it wasn't pain, just weird discomfort.  

hammonds99
on 9/23/14 1:48 am

I had some pain but not severe.  They send you home woith meds for pain control.  

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/14 1:50 am

There will be pain meds. I felt great after my surgery.I questioned my doctor if he did anything in there. I did have discomfort but not like I thought it would be.

I had my tonsils out and a few other surgeries and the tonsils coming out were the worst.

Most Active