Vitamin Reccomendation

Mojo268
on 9/28/14 4:05 am

I am looking for some reccomendations for chewable vitamins (Calcium, D, Multi-Vitamin and anything else I may need but don't know about. Any thoughts?

Mojo268
on 9/28/14 4:05 am

I am looking for some reccomendations for chewable vitamins (Calcium, D, Multi-Vitamin and anything else I may need but don't know about. Any thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/14 4:42 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Always check with your doctor first, but for the first three months I was told only chewables. I was told that Flintstones with Iron is fine, as well is tums for the calcium. I take a Sublingual B Complex  with B12 that dissolves under the tongue. That one is the most expensive. I am still shopping around for the best prices, and I already take the max Vit D and that is already prescribed for me. 

But again,,, check with your doctor.  hth

poet_kelly
on 9/28/14 4:47 am - OH

I think you were given some poor advice.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric  Surgery says we should not take children's vitamins that are incomplete, and Flintstones are missing some important nutrients, including selenium.  They also say we need calcium citrate and Tums is calcium carbonate.  You can't absorb that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/29/14 4:00 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On September 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM Pacific Time, BBSCuppycake wrote:

Always check with your doctor first, but for the first three months I was told only chewables. I was told that Flintstones with Iron is fine, as well is tums for the calcium. I take a Sublingual B Complex  with B12 that dissolves under the tongue. That one is the most expensive. I am still shopping around for the best prices, and I already take the max Vit D and that is already prescribed for me. 

But again,,, check with your doctor.  hth

Hmm.  Flintstones are not complete for bariatric patients -- and certainly don't contain enough iron.  Also, Tums are calcium carbonate --- practically useless --- we need calcium citrate.  Also, prescribed vitamin D is D2 -- also inferior.  We need D3 and preferably DRY D if you have any malabsorbtion aspect to your particular surgery.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

anna R.
on 10/1/14 12:43 am

Be careful with the B6, you don't want too much in your body as your body can not get rid of it and it can harm your organs. Take a B12 sublingual instead, we can pee out the extra, same with K2. If you get the right multivitamin you should be able to get enough B6.

Anna

poet_kelly
on 9/28/14 4:45 am - OH

Centrum makes a chewable multi that is good, nutritionally speaking.  For calcium citrate, which is what the ASMBS recommends we take after WLS, you'll probably have to order it online.  Stores usually have chewable calcium carbonate and tricalcium phosphate, but not citrate.  I'm not sure about a chewable D3.  Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage might have one.  Is there a reason you prefer all chewable vitamins?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brownsuga19321
on 9/28/14 6:20 am
VSG on 09/30/14 with

PEOPLE who get the sleeve are usually recommended chewables because while on their liquid diet they can't eat whole foods.. they have to start taking them the day after surgery... I'm guessing the vitamins don't come in liquid forms but I could be wrong...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/28/14 11:24 am - OH

(As opposed to ANIMALS who get the sleeve...??)

Many surgeons don't require chewables just as many surgeons don't require an extended period of liquids after surgery (whether RNY or sleeve).  It may be YOUR surgeon's preference, but it isn't a universal "rule". 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Brownsuga19321
on 9/28/14 2:29 pm
VSG on 09/30/14 with

Notice at the end,  I did say I could be wrong!

Thanks

Most Active