Anyone done a revision surgery using an MTF?

vany_pr_2000
on 9/28/14 3:57 pm - Abilene , XX

Hi Ya'll!

I'm in need of some guidance here. I'll try to keep this as short as possible! I am the spouse of an AD military member. I had WL surgery (lap band) back in 2008 while stationed in Las Vegas. My surgery was paid for thru Tricare. Initially, I ate right, worked out daily and lost about 74 pounds in about 4 years. It wasn't the progress I wanted but it was weight gone none the less. After our tour in Vegas, we were stationed in England. I had complications with my band and was not able to get the same medical attention I had received while in Vegas (regular, monthly check ups). In the end, the doctor I was seeing in London drained my band almost entirely and advised that I consider a different surgery. This came after several appointments over the course of a year- back and forth getting fills and having them taken out (I would get so tight I couldn't even drink water for days at a time!). Since then I have gained ALL of my weight back plus several more pounds. At my current weight, I believe I am about 15 pounds heavier that I was the day of surgery. 

So here I am 2 years later and we are now currently stationed in Texas. I am enrolled in Tricare and was assigned a doctor off base. I had an initial appointment with him and asked during that time for a referral to a bariatric surgeon/office so that I could get the ball rolling with my WL "issues". At this time, I would like to have the band taken out and have a sleeve done. He wasn't able to refer me to anyone but said that I should call Tricare and give him the list of names so that he could check them out for me. I called Tricare and explained my situation. They referred me to 3 doctors all of which are about 2.5-3 hours away. I called all 3 and the first to answer the phone is who I have been dealing with. The office sent me a packet to fill out, I did and have mailed it back. Once they receive it, I will get a call to schedule an appointment. I don't know what this doctor will do- I'm not sure if he will try to get me back where I need to be with my band or if he will work with me on getting the sleeve. I do know that I can NOT afford to pay for the sleeve on my own. 

So this is where I'm at. I've been googling WL surgery here in Texas. I've searched the forums for information on having the surgery done at a MTF but everything that pops up is from years ago. I'd like to have more current information. Has anyone on here gone from one surgery to another? Was it done at an MTF? If so, which one? And how do I start the process? Do I need to call Tricare? Does my current doctor need to refer me? Can I just call an MTF and make an appointment? I am very confused about all the procedures but am willing to jump thru any hoops necessary to have this done. I don't want to knock the band, I just don't feel like it's right for me anymore. I understand that WLS is a tool and not a quick fix but I've been struggling with these issues for long enough. I made the decision back to 2008 to have WLS and here I am several years later in no better situation than I was back then. My cholesterol is bad, my BMI is higher, my body aches..my hips, knees, ankles. I heard a wheezing sound the other night while I was sleeping and my initial thought was that my all too fit hubby was getting sick then I realized it was me! I need help!! 

~Vanessa

Banded in '08- 241.5 LW 167 CW 252.5

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/29/14 2:07 am

TRICARE will not cover the sleeve at a civilian doctor, but it will cover a gastric bypass or the band (which you already have, I know). So if you want the sleeve, you will first need to determine if any of the MTFs in your area have a bariatric program and if the programs are accepting family members assigned to civilian providers.

TRICARE covers your civilian care. All care done at the MTF is strictly at the discretion of the MTF and the rules are a bit different. If the MTFs in your area cannot see you, you will be referred to a civilian provider. I recommend calling the MTFs near you and getting information regarding bariatric programs. I would not rely on information from other spouses and friends of friends. That is usually incorrect. Get your facts straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Also, every MTF is different. The process at one may not be the process at another.

I know this because I worked for TRICARE for a long time.

Good luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

roseygirl
on 9/29/14 5:11 am

I can't answer the MTF question but want to wish you luck! I had the band in 2007 and removed in 2012 due to constant complications. Since removal I am now much heavier than my initial surgery date to get the band put in and body is hurting daily. I am getting a sleeve on Thursday and wish you the best in your quest. 

Most Active