Lab work after VSG?

TheNewT
on 9/30/14 10:59 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I talked to my surgeon and he said there are no labs that he wants to pull for me. He said my levels were good before surgery. He did mention keeping an eye on the B12 (I think it was 12) over the long term, but nothing else. However, I see you all mention getting labs done. What type of blood work are you having? My insurance setup allows me to get blood work done for free whenever I want. As long as the nurse has a code for it they will pull it, so lay it on me!

Chilipepper
on 10/1/14 12:24 am

You need to call and speak to your surgeons office. Not a bunch of strangers on a website. When was your surgery? You had labs prior, maybe new labs aren't due yet. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

TheNewT
on 10/1/14 4:35 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I spoke to the surgeon first and he suggested nothing. He said I didn't need them...at all. I was just curious as to what other VSGers were getting done.

iloveravens
on 10/1/14 1:16 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I go to my endocrinologist every few months because I have hypothyroidism.  He does a CBC whi*****ludes my blood sugar, my thyroid levels, Vitamin B and D, etc.  It's a good idea to keep on top of it.  Good luck to you!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

poet_kelly
on 10/1/14 1:31 am - OH

A CBC is a complete blood count.  It includes the number of white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, hematocrit and hemoglobin.  It does not include blood sugar, thyroid levels, vitamin B (which B vitamin?  There are a bunch of them?) or vitamin D.  Those would all be separate tests to be ordered in addition to the CBC.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 10/1/14 1:29 am - OH

How would he keep an eye on your B12 without doing labs?  And if it was only 12, it's super low.

I probably get more labs than you would need, since I had RNY.  But I think most surgeons order a CBC, a CMP, vitamin D (25 hydroxy), B12, thiamine, iron, ferritin, PTH and maybe zinc and vitamin A.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/1/14 2:59 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You might not be due for lab work yet. My dr wanted it 3 months after surgery just to ck my levels that I wasn't deficient in anything, it is also looked over by the nutritionist. I'm guessing whenever you go to your dr for a followup visit that you ck with him.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

TheNewT
on 10/1/14 4:41 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I am interested in getting my expanded TSH done b/c I had/have hyperthyroidism. The TSH was LOW but the expanded panel showed everything was perfect. My job requires a CBC every year for us to get insurance so I will always get that.

When I asked the surgeon he said I needed nothing done...like ever. The only thing he mentioned was that B12. Long term to keep an eye on it. Maybe he figures if I stay on plan and eat as I should I won't be lacking. I'm just super-paranoid that I will be lacking in something that I could have caught months ago. And since I get free blood draws... why not?!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/1/14 5:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not sure HOW you'd measure your B12 without a blood test! Hmm...

Many surgeons have a set list of blood work that needs to be done, including a "metabolic panel" and several others. But that's up for individual doctors to decide. My surgeon has me in ever 3 months for the first year, then every 6 months thereafter; I have a bunch done and they end up taking about 5 vials. But that's just me, YMMV!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/1/14 5:22 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You don't have it listed in your profile so I'll ask it again.  When was your surgery?

My surgeon's office pulls labs every three months for the first year.  It's 14 vials of blood drawn each time.  Here's the list from the Lab Order Form that the office gives me:

1. PT/PTT/INR
  2. CMP
  3. CBC
  4. PTH Intact
  5. HgA1c
  6. Lipid Profile
  7. TSH
  8. Iron
  9. TIBC
  10. Ferritin
  11. Zinc
  12. Calcium - Ionized
  13. Magnesium
  14. Phosphate
  15. Selenium
  16. Zinc
  17. Folate - RBC
  18. Vitamin B1 - whole blood (Thiamine)
  19. Vitamin B2 - whole blood (Riboflavin)
  20. Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide)
  21. Vitamin B6 - plasma (pyridoxal phos)
  22. Vitamin B12 - (Cyanocobalamin)
  23. Vitamin D3 (25-Hydroxy)
  24. Vitamin E - serum (alpha tocopherol)

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220