HOW LONG ON LIQUIDS BEFORE SURGERY??

gr8ape
on 9/29/14 9:05 am

Having RNY soon and wondering how long any of you were on liquid diets before surgery?  and what that consisted of.  I'm sure my surgeon's staff will go over this with me, just curious at this point and wanting tips on how to get through that time, and if anyone can give me an example of what it consists of.  Thanks!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/29/14 9:54 am

I did not have a liquid pre op diet, but I was on liquids for three weeks post op.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Kate -True Brit
on 9/29/14 6:10 pm - UK

Something between a month and not at all! Depends entirely on the surgeon.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sami711
on 9/30/14 9:26 am

My surgeon said it's typically one week, but he had me do 2 weeks because my BMI was on the high side for the surgery I opted for. (VSG)

YettaW
on 10/2/14 7:31 am - brunswick, GA
RNY on 12/22/14

My surgeon ,Dr. Whipple at memorial hospital in savannah georgia does 2weeks. 

Yetta

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:29 pm, edited 10/2/14 2:29 pm - OH

Two weeks is very common, but sometimes it is clear liquids only, sometimes it is "full liquids".  My surgeon didn't require one at all (nor did she require more than a couple of days of liquids post-op... I was back on soft foods (scrambled egg, cream of wheat, cottage cheese) on Day Three post-op).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lexibelle
on 10/5/14 1:50 am - Federal Way, WA
DS on 09/19/14

We-ell, my surgeon is kind of a sadist, so I was alternating 1 week of high protein/low carb and 2 weeks of clear liquids + protein shakes from the day of my first consult (7/3). Then, there was a 10 day clear-liquid diet (plus protein shakes) that he required right before surgery. Admittedly I didn't quite follow the first part, but I did stick with the 10 days of clear liquids prior to surgery. Oh and then it was an additional 3 weeks of clear liquids after surgery.

Not all surgeons are quite as mean though ;) Maybe search for other users that have posted about your surgeon - you may be able to find out more info. That's how I prepared myself for what I was in for.

cspotrun
on 10/5/14 2:23 am
RNY on 07/01/14

For me it was 2 weeks pre-op of 3 protein shakes per day plus 1 meal of 3 ounces of meat plus 1/4 cup of veggies. 1 week into it, right when I was used to it and doing well, my nutritionist said I didn't need to worry about it too much because my BMI was low and my liver was likely not fatty. I stuck to it anyway. Good luck!

Karen   

Most Active