how do i decide which surgery is best for me

froggyx2
on 10/19/14 3:28 am

I am in the process of getting ready for weight loss surgery, I had in my mind of having the sleeve done, but then the dr office talked about the bypass like it was the go to procedure.

is the extra 10% that you may lose with the bypass worth the risks?

Now I am just confused. I have been reading a great deal on the subject, I know that the surgery is a tool for both, and unless you still watch you can regain on both proceedures.

I am 5'4" and I weigh 266 lbs. I would be happy at 180 or 170, (even though they say my bmi should be 135). I just want to be healthier.

Any input or suggestions would be great!

Kate -True Brit
on 10/19/14 6:19 am, edited 10/19/14 6:20 am - UK

You may not get many answers because this has been asked several times in the last few days.  Here for example Which surgery?.   

Edited for typos

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 7:42 am

We have forums here for all of the WLS. Here is the one for the RnY: RnY Forum. Here is the one for the VSG: VSG Forum

And don't forget the Duodenal Switch: DS Forum

Since you haven't decided, it might be worth your while to go to each forum and ask what folks like/dislike about their surgeries.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

note: copied from one of todays previous posts

Valerie G.
on 10/19/14 12:35 pm, edited 10/19/14 12:37 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Think of your own weight history....

• Do you lose fine, only to regain later? 
  • Is simply eating less the biggest factor to you losing weight? 
  • Are you a champion dieter, but yeild few or no results at all despite the best efforts?
  • Do you feel that your body fights back every time you try to lose?
  • Do you need NSAIDS?
  • Do you suffer from GERD?

These questions are important because weight loss surgery is not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.  You'll want to learn all you can about the Sleeve (VSG), Gastric Bypass (RNY) and Duodenal Switch (DS).  Each of these addresses obesity a little differently.  The Sleeve simply gives you satiety eating the smallest amounts, while the RNY and DS add a metabolic component to change what your body does with the food, being the key to many people's long-term success.  The sleeve is a great surgery on the right person, but on the wrong person who was hoping the simplest solution would work without giving significant thought to their personal bodies -- it gets them another surgery when their results aren't what they hoped for years later.  Your goal should be only to have one surgery.

So take your time.  Learn all you can about these procedures, and even the one-off's from them that aren't as popular.  If you go up to the Forums link at the top of the page, you can see boards dedicated to a specific procedure.  Lurk and seee what they are asking about, complaining about and raving about.  Ask more questions if you like.  Become an expert on all of them and compare what you learn to what you know about yourself. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/14 5:02 am

Why you decided to do surgery? You can make a plan for your weight loss.like diet plan, exercise or taking supplement..

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1438 views