Going to an Info Session tomorrow... would love some encouraging words...

DeathKSValley
on 10/20/14 12:22 pm - Baltimore, MD

Greetings, everyone.

I've absolutely had it with being overweight. I'm so tired of feeling only half-human in this cruel world. It's already cost me so much.

I'm going to an informational meeting tomorrow after work. I'm 27, female, with a BMI of 37, and could stand to lose about 100 lbs. I was always partial to lapband, but have been reading positive things about VSG, so those are what I'm open to. I just started a new job and am in the process of getting enrolled in BCBS insurance. According to what I've read, I need to have one co-morbid condition in order to have insurance pay for it. I'm not sure if I have any that matches the list. The only ones that I MIGHT have are PCOS or sleep apnea. I definitely have major depression problems, but I don't think that counts for coverage. It's in question whether or not insurance will cover it. I still have some research to do and appointments to make, but in the back of my mind, I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility of self-paying. That would be very difficult I don't make a whole lot of money that doesn't go to bills. Does anyone have to live meagerly now so they can pay their wls bills? Was it worth it? Getting surgery in Mexico may be my only option. Has anyone done that?

I live a pretty lonely life. I don't have many friends, but do have family that does not live nearby. I wouldn't want to tell anyone if I were to do it, mostly because I wouldn't want to have to hear anyone's criticism or put anyone through worry. If I didn't tell them, they'd be understandably upset, especially if I went abroad to do it. Not sure how to cope with that. Did anyone else choose not to disclose their choice from people in their lives? Were you able to pull it off?

Ugh. Tired so I'm going to go for now, but I really appreciate anyone who listened to my story and has any advice. Thanks, wonderful people.

Poodlemac
on 10/20/14 1:36 pm, edited 10/20/14 2:06 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Not sure but I THINK PCOS might help you with your insurance. 

I, too, chose not to tell anyone about my surgery. Only my mother and 2 closest friends. I just think it is no ones business! People will criticize us either for being fat or "taking the easy way out". I've percieved enough judgement due to my weight, I don't need more -especially from someone whose opinion I didn't ask for nor value. Do what is right for you!  The support groups are wonderful and many people attend them for months before surgery. I enjoy the groups and just being reminded I'm not the only person going thru this, and that I CAN DO IT!! 

I only wish I'd done this many years earlier, oh how my life might have been different!  I think it's good you do it while you're young and have your whole life ahead of you! 

Youve got this, girl!