BACK TO BASICS QUESTION

jobell2355
on 10/20/14 5:33 am - Destin, FL
Looking for someone who has re-gained about 20 or 30 lbs. after a few years post op but then went back to the basic rules of post op eating and had success losing those lbs. to give me input on how it worked for you. I am 5 years post-op and up 20 lbs. due to snacking, slider foods and alcohol. I am re-starting the rules I used to adhere to so strictly for the first 2 years and need to know how this worked for anyone else who had similar issues. Thanks!
262/140orig.gw 4-2010 /165cw/145new gw

Kate -True Brit
on 10/20/14 5:46 am - UK

I am banded not bypassed but the underlying principles of dealing with regain are the same!

I am 8 1/2 years post-op and have had two episodes of regain, each just under 30lbs.

For me, the key thing was motivation! I had slipped into so many bad habits and it was so hard to break them again! The first time, my motivation was panic!  My children told me that for my 60th birthday, then 8 weeks away, they were going to take me to an up-market shop and buy me a designer coat. Not in a size 12 , maybe even a 14, they weren't! No way! What an incentive. 27lbs went in 8 weeks! Size 10 coat! 

blip number two, I went to my wardrobe and realised I literally Only had a couple of outfits I couid wear unless I bought larger ones! That worked too!

my actual method was simple:  protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room. No grazing. No alcohol. No more than 1000-1200 cars a day. Walking everywhere. Weekly weigh with wall chart. 

But I really do believe it is the mental attitude which matters. You have to really WANT it! Which sounds obvious but is more about feeling there is no choice! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

jobell2355
on 10/20/14 5:50 am - Destin, FL
Thanks so much for the reply. I am working on the motivation and I really think I am there again. I never stopped working out. I actually work out 4-6 days a week intensely but I have been eating the junk and drinking. I am ready though and your post gave me what I needed to hear. Protein first, veggies, etc. just like you said. Thanks again!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/14 8:27 am - OH

I haven't had to get 20 pounds off, but I gained about 8 pounds after each of my knee surgeries (at 6+ years out) and had to do the same things that you need to do: emphasizing protein, cutting out the extra carbs, no non-protein snacking, and increasing the fluids between meals.

It DOES work if you stay diligent, but it can be tough to give up the carbs.  I got the first 8 pounds off without too much trouble because it was summer and I was excited to be able to be more   active with my worst knee replaced.  I am still up about a few pounds from the weight after my second knee, though, because I was working lots of extra hours this summer and -- to be honest -- I have had trouble staying motivated (and un-stressed enough) to give up the carbs.  My clothes almost all still fit so that isn't a motivator. I just need to give myself a swift kick in the ass and just DO it!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jobell2355
on 10/21/14 9:44 am - Destin, FL
Amen to the swift kick. Haha! Me too!

White Dove
on 10/20/14 12:04 pm - Warren, OH

For me it is all about calories.  I maintain 136 pounds on 1400 calories a day.  To lose a pound a week I have to eat 900 calories a day. 

If I eat 1250 calories a day, I will lose 1/2 pound a week.  I no longer can lose large amounts of weight in a week.  I determine how much I want to lose and figure out how many weeks it will take, then follow my calorie plan.  It is not quick, but it does work.

Another trick that works for me is daily weighing.  Keeps me out of denial.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Felicia O'Connor
on 10/20/14 11:26 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

It was nice to see the post, I am 5 yrs out and have gained 20 pounds, same story. I need to get back on track. Thanks for posting this, we forget sometimes what we need to do. I'm getting back on track before my 6th Anniversary to my surgery. February 9th.

protein first, veggies, carbs last!!!!

wanabslym
on 10/22/14 10:35 pm

This is great..i am 3 years out and weighed in at 250 pounds on monday. Largely due to bad food choices and wine!Poor managing of personal crisises and reverting to old food habits..it was a huge wake up call to see that scale at 250 pounds.Went to buy my protein powder,cant remember the last time i took any..it has just been me putting myself last,not loving myself enough to care for me.I am on track, protein and water first.Then veggies,really listening to my body when im full..weighing my portions is key.I am already down 5 pounds on day 4,so its very motivating.And i am sticking to a 1000 calories/day diet no more that 1200 on"tough days". The first day was torture,i thought i would eat the walls!feel so much better,like i have detoxed my body.for me i have 100 pounds to go,i never reached my goal weight but it does not mean the same rules do not apply.My heaviest i was 340 pounds so i am so ready to do this!

Member Services
on 10/23/14 4:31 am - Irvine, CA
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1347 views