New to this and Nervous

Kyamjo
on 10/20/14 10:50 pm

I went to my surgeon yesterday about hernia repairs. I have three and I have had hernia surgery before. When they brought the surgeon in to meet me he mention Bariatric surgery. He said he thought it would be great for me because I have had bad health for awhile and he thinks it might solve most of my problems. He told me it would take awhile to get me ready for it. My husband is in the Military and we were going to PCS in January. I explained to him that this wasn't a good time. When I was making another appointment the head surgeon came out and explained to me that I was a perfect candidate and it wouldn't take me 2 weeks to get in at Walter Reed that he just called them and they could see me now if I was willing to drive to MD right then. To make a long story short, I went and the DR showed me several procedures and and said the bypass was the best one for me.  He said that my BMI was barely  there but that they looked at this as a way to save my life and get my diabetes gone and high blood pressure and help my joints. He said they were going to skip the information class and give the packet now and go ahead and put my consults in with the nutritionist and the psychiatrist and that I needed to start going to support groups. He said he would write my husbands command a letter and get orders on hold for this. He also told me about this site. All this is so overwhelming. I would like to know more, like how long do you stay in hospital and how much pain. It is something that I am thinking about because I would love to live for my children and my grand children. Any advice would be helpful. I am 5 foot 2 and 211 lbs 

Bette B.
on 10/21/14 12:45 am

I can't give a really good response because I am just heading out the door to work, but WELCOME! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kyamjo
on 10/21/14 3:14 am

thank you

MsBatt
on 10/21/14 3:20 am

Here's something you need to think about. After the RNY/gastric bypass, you won't be able to take NSAIDs for those painful joints. Losing weight may or may not relieve your joint pain. Given that you're a lightweight and you have joint pain, I suggest you research the VSG/Sleeve as well as the RNY/gastric bypass. It would allow you to still take NSAIDs.

Kyamjo
on 10/21/14 7:07 am

I think it is the RNY that they want to do. After I wrote this they called and scheduled my outpatient nutrition something and exercise physiologist. I just got told all this yesterday. I found out from my family practice doctor that he thought it all was a great idea. He said the testing for my diabetes has went from a 6.0 to a 9.3 in a yr and that he might need to put me on insulin. He said the rush is because of the way my health was going.

Member Services
on 10/21/14 3:23 am - Irvine, CA

Kyamjo
on 10/21/14 7:14 am

thank you

AllisonAnn
on 10/21/14 3:25 am
VSG on 11/11/14 with

I felt the same way when my cardiologist suggested surgery to me last April. I had heart failure with my second pregnancy, high blood pressure and cholesterol and I'm pre-diabetic. At first I was skeptical and nervous, but the more I investigated the procedures and visited this site and found out more about results and people's happier and healthier lives I was really excited about the opportunity. I just had my surgery scheduled this morning - a VSG on 11/11 and I am so excited and really feeling emotional. The one definite that I know is that I want to be here and healthy for my wonderful kids and the life I am leading now would not have that outcome. Saying prayers for you and excited for you also!

White Dove
on 10/21/14 4:33 am - Warren, OH

My biggest regret was that I did not just go and have the surgery when my doctor suggested it.  I waited for ten years and in those ten years the diabetes got worse and the weight got worse.  The surgery was so easy for me.  I had it on a Tuesday and was up doing light housework on Friday and back to a desk job on Monday

The weight loss was quick and easy.  My diabetes did not resolve and I believe that it was because I waited so long.  My joints no longer hurt.  I was sure I would need knee replacement, but even that is better now.  I think that you are lucky that they are not making you wait. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1377 views