I went to a support group meeting tonight

Poodlemac
on 10/21/14 1:26 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

and to my surprise it was at the office of another doctor within the same hospital system as my doctor (whom I adore).  It came up in conversation with some of his patients in attendance that he promotes a vegetarian lifestyle after RNY. I would LOVE to learn more about this as all this meat just isn't my thing. Can I go to his nut or should I just research it online?  Have you heard successes or problems with vegetarian RNY?

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 1:34 pm - OH

I've been a vegetarian for something like 27 years.  Including six years since my RNY.  I have had no problems with it.

Who was the surgeon?  Garth Davis by any chance?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Poodlemac
on 10/21/14 11:50 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
Lisarn1
on 10/21/14 7:13 pm - Raleigh, NC

I have been Pescaterian since my mid twenties (I'm 55 now), and have had no issues. I do get most of my protein from dairy (Greek yogurt, Eggs or egg substitute, cheese, tofu, and, of course, fish). I try to have ifs at least weekly, but if not, there are many go-to foods for me. Now understand, I am not Vegan. I like my dairy too much. I know that there are many OH members who do follow the Vegan lifestyle, though.

as for protein intake, as a rule my average intake is at least 80-120 gms/day. Of course, right now I'm again dependent upon protein powder because of my RNY to VSG revision due to anatomical ulcers. I really miss my eggs!

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 8:49 pm - OH

There are many vegan members on OH?  I think I've only seen one or two here.  I haven't even seen many vegetarians.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisarn1
on 10/21/14 10:06 pm - Raleigh, NC

Ok, well there were a few when I used to come here several years ago. I assumed that there would be someone to speak to the vegan lifestyle. I can only comment on how it all works for me.

poet_kelly
on 10/22/14 5:34 am - OH

I'm pretty sure he actually recommends a vegan diet, not just vegetarian.

luxurycouture
on 10/22/14 11:00 am

I am a pescatarian and my dietitian (I am still pre-op... I haven't even submitted for insurance approval yet...) has no problem with this. My goal is to become completely vegan. It takes a lot of work, so I am slowly working toward it. Glad to hear that there are others on here! 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Lisarn1
on 10/22/14 9:15 pm - Raleigh, NC

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2012/03/veggie-tales-part-2-can-post-ops-be.html

http://www.slhn.org/~/media/Files/PDF/Bariatrics/Bariatrics-VeganF2013.pdf

http://www.drehrlichweightloss.com/following-a-vegetarian-diet-after-weight-loss-surgery/

http://www.theflamingvegan.com/view-post/Going-Vegan-after-WLS

Here are several resources that I found yesterday. I've never been interested in Veganism, and plan to continue my Pescaterian lifestyle, but whatever meal plan you chose please research what changes you'll need to make. These changes do not need to be immediate. Experiment with what works for you. 

Much Luck

Lisa

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1546 views