Is this normal after a gastric sleeve

nicdav01
on 10/23/14 12:21 pm

I am two days out of surgery and am having the worst gas and stomach pain ever. I have not been able to pass gas as my surgeon said I should and I am in pain most of the day. What else can I do?

Bubbles314
on 10/23/14 3:04 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

walk, walk and walk some more to move the gas.  Sip on water constantly also.  Are you still in the hospital or didn't they tell you that you would have a lot of gas post op. Of course follow your dr's plan.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/23/14 5:35 pm - UK

We all get awful gas post-op.  Keep moving. Walk as much as you can. But if you think it is more than just gas, phone your doc. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 10/24/14 12:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Did they tell you what they did?  They blew your abdomen up with gas in order to maneuver the tools around inside.  It's that same gas that's stuck and lodged up in the nooks and crannies.  To get it out - wiggle and move around to get those bubbles to roll out of the nooks and crannies.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 10/24/14 3:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You need to be up and moving constantly...as much as you can tolerate.  That's the only way you're going to move out that anesthesia gas.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Member Services
on 10/24/14 3:30 am - Irvine, CA

The gas pain from having the surgeon is probably the issue.  They blow up your abdomen to do the surgery.  The gas has to be released after the surgery. 

Make sure that you move frequently throughout the day.  Moving will allow you to release the gas. 

Please call your surgeon if you think it is more than gas pain.

Maureen H.
on 10/24/14 6:31 am
VSG on 10/30/14

I am so glad you guys mentioned this. My doctor never told me this and I am about to have surgery next week. Thanks for the heads up so I can know what to expect. 

foutchd
on 10/24/14 8:43 pm - Labelle, FL

Are you using gas strips?? They help!!

tstowe
on 10/25/14 12:38 am

I had real BAD gas pains for two days. Walking didn't help. Gas strips didn't help... Although I did both. I just had to suffer through it. Remember it's temporary and it will go away. November 1 will be two months and it was SOOOOO worth the pain.

nicdav01
on 10/25/14 1:48 am

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments.  Yes my doctor advised that I would have gas but didnt say it would be this bad. I purchased some miralax and have been much better.The pain has subsided and I am walking around quite a bit. I am excited about the journey.  I have lost 11lbs since being sleeved on 10/21/2014.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1439 views