Diabetic glucose test

lisa48
on 10/24/14 1:47 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 12/16/08 with

Hi there I`m 5 yrs out and my Dr. wants me to go have the 73grm glucose test , I know i`m diabetic again but terrified to have this test done ..with drinking all that sugar I`m scared I`m going to be very sick afterwards. Has anyone here had to do this test after the surgery and were you sick afterwards. My gut feeling is telling me not to do it but just wondered if it is safe for us to do or not ..thank you

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 2:47 am - OH

I wouldn't do it.  It would make me very ill to drink that much sugar.  Why does he want you to do it?  Can't diabetes be diagnosed without doing that?  Can't you just check your blood sugar before and after meals?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lisa48
on 10/24/14 3:31 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 12/16/08 with

I did one of the regular blood test and it came up a bit high so she wanted me to do this one to make sure ..

I see her Thursday and I`ve been putting it off for 3mths cause I`m scared of the reaction I will get. I`ve been taking my blood at home and I know now for sure I`m diabetic so will just show her my # but just wanted to know for sure if anyone else had to do this test and if they got sick over it like I`m sure I will be , so I can also tell her its not all in my head ..lol.thanks for your quick respond !!!!

Bubbles314
on 10/24/14 4:55 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Is the A1C test accurate?

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 5:20 am - OH

Did you discuss your concerns with your doctor?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lisa48
on 10/24/14 6:01 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 12/16/08 with

Yes I told her it might make me sick and she said it shouldn`t cause it goes right to the blood but when I talked to the lab girl she laugh and said well it goes to the stomach to yes I might end up being very sick ...my husband has been diabetic for a very long time and never had to do this test I know he did a lot of different ones so when I see her I will tell her to give me one of the other fasting test but I`m very scared of this one. At the lab she told me its like drinking 3 coke cans so thats a lot of sugar in 10mins ..then I have to wait 2hrs and another blood test all the while fasting ....I just wondered what all that sugar would do to me , at the lab she told me a lot of people can`t even finish drinking the stuff before it comes back up and if it does they can`t do the test ..so don`t know what to do ...

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 6:32 am - OH

You drink it, so it goes into your stomach first, then into the blood as it gets absorbed.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/24/14 8:52 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Go see an endocrinologist so that you are dealing with someone who specializes in Diabetes.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

lucky2brh-yahoo.com
on 10/24/14 9:39 am - Wilmington, NC
RNY on 07/01/14

Good Greif! I've been diabetic for 22 years....they still do that horrible test??!! Surly there is another way by now.  I would think modern medicine would have a better solution.  Above poster is right, a finger stick should be enough.  I say any finger stick read between 140 and 180  two hours after a meal should point to it.....PS: They wouldn't get my a$$ to drink it.

Lisarn1
on 10/24/14 10:41 am - Raleigh, NC

This is called a Glucose Tolerance Test, and it predates the HGB A1c test. The Glucose Tolerance test tracks how long it takes for you to effectively metabolize glucose. It can be very effective, however in your case it will most likely make you ill. You can achieve similar results by testing before a meal, testing directly after, and then every hour after until you are as close to your pre meal reading. 

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1496 views