Desicions desicions.....

Micah
on 10/31/14 12:04 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

Hi! I had my consultation yesterday and am now waiting for my approval. When I went yesterday I was certain I wanted the vertical sleeve but after my appointment was confused....Dr. Simper kind of made me feel like RNY would be a good choice he said I was in a gray area. So he told me to find a weight loss community to join and ask questions. So could someone PLEASE help me lol. If I could hear maybe how some of you feel, or your experiences. I am 32 a female and 306 pounds my height is 5'4 if that helps or makes a difference lol THANK YOU!

Poodlemac
on 10/31/14 12:24 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Do you have diabetes or reflux?

Micah
on 10/31/14 12:30 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

I am starting to have heartburn but I notice its mostly when I am eating un healthy things.

Judi2
on 10/31/14 12:59 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I also wanted the sleeve but was recommended that I have a RNY because of my acid reflux. I too only get it when I eat the unhealthy foods but I don't want to take a chance in it getting worse with the sleeve.

Micah
on 11/1/14 2:17 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

Yeah that's my thing to, my surgeon said there is a chance it could get worse or better with the sleeve surgery but am wondering if with the amount of weight I want to loose if the RNY would just be my best bet. thank you for your comment!

alaskasusan
on 10/31/14 5:29 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I started out wanting the lap band, which my surgeon in my initial consultation discouraged but did not rule out. After a lot of research I settled on VSG...but during my 6-month weight loss requirement (from my insurance) it was discovered I have severe GERD and the endoscopy showed I have Barrett's Esophagus. So the final decision with my surgeon was for the RNY, which is proven to actually be therapeutic for GERD.  I do not regret my decision one bit, and am very very happy that I was able to have the surgery and start having a life.  You found a good place to learn; keep reading and asking questions. The pre-surgery testing will likely help you with your decision as well.  Good luck! 

Micah
on 11/1/14 2:14 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

I also started out wanting the lap band but my insur. wont pay for adjustments so I choose the sleeve but am now ( with the weight iam wanting to loose) wondering if the RNY would be my best decision .... I am just having some anxiety about the surgery itself. I don't have to do any pre testing with my insur. so I will just have to do a little more research about the two.... thank you for your thought it did help! and congrats o my gosh ! AMAZING!!

Hislady
on 10/31/14 7:18 am - Vancouver, WA

It depends on what is causing the heartburn. If it is from a hiatal hernia that can be fixed during surgery and you can have the sleeve. However if it is from something else the RNY would be better because it doesn't tend to cause heart burn as much aas the sleeve can. In the end it is up to you and your surgeon to make the final call. Good luck to you!

Micah
on 11/1/14 2:09 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

thank you so much and good luck to you also!

MsBatt
on 10/31/14 7:27 am

There's a third option, called the Duodenal Switch. It has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to that of the RNY, but more aggressive. This causes permanent, significant malabsorption of calories, which allows your surgeon to leave a larger Sleeve than is done in a stand-alone Sleeve. This reduces the likelihood of GERD.

Before my DS, I had terrible GERD. .Most nights I slept sitting up because of it. Since my DS nearly 11 years ago, NO GERD!

Most Active