Newbie Question re: losing weight before surgery approval

chelle7964
on 10/31/14 9:56 am - mcclure, IL
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi all! I have just started the process to have gastric bypass. My surgeon is requiring a 20# weight loss before scheduling surgery. My appt with my NUT isn't for another two weeks. I'm not sure which diet plan to follow until I see the NUT. For the past week I have concentrated on counting calories and logging everything I consume in myfitnesspal.com but I'm afraid that I'm consuming too many carbs or calories. I used the default settings on the app. Any suggestions from those who have lost weight prior to scheduling surgery? Oh, I have also incorporated protein shakes during the day. Thanks.

Amy R.
on 10/31/14 5:06 pm

Even though your actual appointment isn't for another two weeks, you could call the surgeons office, or the nuts office and just ask what they recommend.  I'm sure they'd give you at least some direction over the phone.  

Barring that, you could just modify your diet to what it will look like post-op:  protein first, veggies, lastly some complex carbs if you have room left.  At least 64oz of fluids.

That is the way you'll be eating for the rest of your life so it wouldn't hurt to get in the habit now, even though you are pre-op.

Good luck to you in your journey

NikkyBeauty
on 10/31/14 7:11 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Same thing here for me but my surgeon wants 40 im down 27lbs so just 13 more to go!! But I did a two week liquid diet (the same one you do before surgery) which was at the suggestion of my dietition, it's over as of today and I lost 27lbs in total so that was super quick just gotta keep it off because I have a few more requirements before surgery as well but anywho  Im suppose to do the liquid diet for two weeks, then alternate to low fat/low calorie diet but I had no clue I would so much weight so quickly!  You should ask you NUT about doing the liquid diet that's personally my suggestion especially of you want to get the weight off quickly good luck!!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

MegZorar
on 11/1/14 4:08 am

breakfast:

8oz skim milk

1/2 scoop protein powder

4 oz fruit

Morning Snack

protein shake (premade or made with powder and water)--NOT a protein bar

Lunch

6-8 oz low fat/light yogurt

4 oz fruit/veg

Afternoon snack:

1 oz nuts OR 2 tbsp peanut butter OR 1/2 cup beans OR hummus

4 oz fruit/veg

Dinner

4 oz protein

4 oz veg with 1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup whole grain starch OR 1 slice whole grain bread OR 1/2 potato

Early evening snack

8 oz skim milk

1/2 scoop protein powder

4 oz fruit

NYMom222
on 11/1/14 3:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The plan I got presurgery, but before the liquid diet phase was 100g protein everyday and not more than 100g carbs, with a little olive oil allowed. Included in that count have one protein shake a day. no calorie counting.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

chelle7964
on 11/1/14 3:42 pm - mcclure, IL
RNY on 12/16/14

Thanks so much! The carbs are the hard part...I'm a little over 100 per day but I can do better!!! I'm down 5# in the last week. I know I can do this!!!

RNY 12/16/14; HW 297; SW 276.1; CW 250

White Dove
on 11/1/14 6:36 pm - Warren, OH

The best pre-surgery advice was from my family doctor *****ferred me for surgery.  He said to stop eating anything white - bread, rice, pasta, noodles, potatoes, flour, and sugar.  That was excellent preparation for my new life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Michele H.
on 11/1/14 6:46 pm - NJ

Try an Atkins induction and reduce the carbs, pre surgery it was the only way I ever lost weight without being crazy hungry.

I am not going to lie...the first 2-4 days are really hard but if you can get past them you will be ok and see results on the scale.

Good luck!

Michele

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1089 views