lab band removal. Is this normal

km30381
on 10/30/14 2:12 am

Hello.  Yesterday I had my lab band removed.  I had it placed 8 years ago and was very successful with it.  Lost over 100 lbs.  However it slipped so needed to come out.  I am sore which I expected but am also having a lot of shoulder pain which I didn't expect.  Anyone else out there have shoulder pain after any of your surgery's?  i appreciate any replys.  Thank you

poet_kelly
on 10/30/14 2:25 am - OH

Yes, it's normal for the band to slip and the shoulder pain is from the gas they pumped into your abdominal cavity so they had room to work during the surgery.

And it's a lap band, not a lab band.  I just think it's important to know what surgery you had.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/30/14 2:26 am
VSG on 12/06/12

From what I have read the Anesthesia can travel to different places in your body and cause bubbles of air. That is why it is so important to walk after surgery to help work those bubbles out. I think it can go to the shoulder as well.

Megank1147
on 10/30/14 6:24 am

It is normal and the other posts are correct it is trapped gas. I had mine removed last year after 5 years because it had slipped as well. I had been pretty successful with it. May I give you a small cautionary warning and this was my own personal experience and hopefully will not be yours. Once my lap band was removed I gained all my weight back. I did not fix the reasons I had been eating obviously. I used the band to tell me when I was full and once it was gone I had no signals that I was full and I over ate. So for your health try to make mental notes of how much you are eating because the band won't be there to restrict you or make you feel full and I never was quite right after they took the band out with feeling full, I ate way too much and gained my weight back. I just had RNY two weeks ago and I am hoping that this is the life long solution for me. I hope you feel better soon. I wish you continued success. :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1353 views