On liquid diet before surgery. Cold sweat.

nel1958
on 10/31/14 6:16 pm
with

I have been on the liquid diet for 4 days. I'm doing well but find myself in a cold sweat often. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this? What can I do to avoid this? Help please!

Mary Gee
on 10/31/14 7:00 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Mary Gee
on 10/31/14 7:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Never heard of that before - call your doctor on Monday if you're still concerned.

Maybe when you're drinking the shake it makes you think of how close you are to the actual surgery, and you're nervous so that makes you break out in the sweat.  Or is that far-fetched?  

The liquid diets pre-op and post-op are the toughest things we have to endure.  I only had a two day pre-op liquid diet, but post-op it was three weeks.  Ugh!  It was hard - but so worthwhile.

I would not be too worried, but again, call your doctor Monday if it hasn't resolved.

Good luck on your surgery - we have plenty of room on the Losers' Bench!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Lisarn1
on 10/31/14 10:22 pm - Raleigh, NC

Do you test your blood sugar? Sometimes the drastic change in meal planning can affect other metabolic functions. Maybe try to make sure you have something, however small, every few hours. Just a thought.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Michele H.
on 11/1/14 9:46 am - NJ
On November 1, 2014 at 5:22 AM Pacific Time, Lisarn1 wrote:

Do you test your blood sugar? Sometimes the drastic change in meal planning can affect other metabolic functions. Maybe try to make sure you have something, however small, every few hours. Just a thought.

I was also going to suggest possible low blood sugar.  Also could be electrolytes are off....try some G2 or Vitamin Water Zero.

If you don't feel better, call your surgeon's office they may be able to adjust the diet.  Good luck, feel better.

Michele

mrereedhead
on 11/2/14 12:08 pm - Canada

On my second day of optifast I had sweats and severe nausea.  I didn't have low blood sugar but I sure felt awful.  It did go away by day 5 and I'm just finishing day 25 now.  I can assure you it does get better.

Most Active