On the cusp - it could go either way!

TNRose
on 11/16/14 1:33 am - TN

First time posting, but I've been reading posts for weeks now.  This is such a great resource for WLS exploration and education!

My insurance requires 40 BMI, or 35 to 39 with comorbidities, and a 5 yr weight history (among other things, but those 2 are my areas of concern).  I have NO comorbidities; my BMI is 39.9 currently with the lowest in the previous 5 years being 34.7.  My insurance is BCBS of TN.

My doctor's office is submitting my paperwork tomorrow to insurance for approval.  I'm so close to their requirements it could go either way.  Sadly, I can't self pay and desperately need the surgery.

Any words of wisdom? Should I ask my doctor not to submit until I weigh again, making it easily 40 BMI?  I could have mild sleep apnea - only minor symptoms - should I have the test done before submission just in case, or do that if I am denied?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/16/14 2:09 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Wear ankle weights!, put rocks in your pockets etc the next time you get weighed, that should put you over the hump! LOL! or eat high salt foods to make you retain water. Good luck, hope you get approved.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

kathkeb
on 11/16/14 4:00 am

I am sure you were just making a joke, but honestly, ankle weights or rocks in your pockets to add weight is actually considered insurance fraud and could put your policy in jeopardy. 

Kath

ChristineB
on 11/16/14 7:15 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On November 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Pacific Time, 1lasttime wrote:

Wear ankle weights!, put rocks in your pockets etc the next time you get weighed, that should put you over the hump! LOL! or eat high salt foods to make you retain water. Good luck, hope you get approved.

UMMMM, that is insurance fraud.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Maureen H.
on 11/16/14 2:59 am
VSG on 10/30/14

I would wait until you weigh again and have a BMI of 40.0. Most insurance companies are very strict. Appealing a denial can be very time consuming so if it's a matter of waiting to weigh again, I would just wait. You could drink a couple bottles of water before your next visit and that could do it. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/14 4:18 am - OH

Rather than risk being denied because you don't meet the published requirements, which is a very different situation than being denied when you DO meet the requirements but just didn't submit some piece of missing documentation, I would hold off until your BMI is over 40 or I would go ahead and have the sleep test and see how it comes out so that you have the necessary comorbid condition.  If you do the latter, though, and you don't gain any weight during the delay, be VERY sure that your policy doesn't require two conditions if your BMI is under 40 (because many do).

I wouldn't risk being denied because you don't meet the requirements when you're so close to being eligible!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/16/14 4:21 am - OH

If your insurance requires a five year weight history, then even if you gain a little weight to make your BMI 40, you wouldn't meet their requirements, right?  Because your lowest weight in the last five years is under a BMI of 35.

I'd get tested for sleep apnea, if I was you.  but even if you have it, if your BMI was under 35 in the past five years, would they approve it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TNRose
on 11/16/14 4:31 am - TN

Great questions, and I'm not really sure.  If my insurance company happens to round up, I'll meet criteria.  I'm hopeful my doctor's office wouldn't submit it if there are huge issues, but I'm going to reach out to and ask more questions just to be sure.  Thanks everyone for the input!  I really appreciate it.

VSG on 06/12/13

I was underfat/overtall and wound up in 6 months of appeals that had to go all the way to the medical director of my husband's company. I was at 38.8 and my insurance required 40. Doc's office said, oh, don't worry, they'll accept 38.8. Guess what. No they didn't.

My advice: get your doc to HOLD OFF on the submission and request a reweigh/remeasure on your height. Go late in the day, eat a big lunch, leave keys/change in your pockets, wear lots of layers and lug-soled boots, don't stand up too tall when they check your height, but DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO to trigger that 40 BMI. THEN submit. Even if it takes you an extra week, it will save you months in appeals stress, worry, frustration, and expense (I had to pay for an advocate to run my case for me).

Requirements are requirements and they exist for a reason.

Trust me on this.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Valerie G.
on 11/16/14 10:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG - so close.  I wouldn't suggest ankle weights, but lots of salt could retain you some water to add to the weight.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active