HELP-Life without my band

kesiling
on 11/20/14 9:32 pm, edited 11/21/14 1:41 pm - Eatontown, NJ

Hello everyone. I haven't been on here in forever. But last week I had to have my band removed in an emergency surgery.  I never thought it would happen to me. My band had slipped to the very bottom of my stomach and I wasn't able to eat for 3 months and got dangerously thin.  Everyone just assumed me included that I had become anorexic/bulmic.  I was happy to find out it wasn't me, but a malfunction.

But they wouldn't put another in because I am past goal weight and dr. said that if I need it in the future he would consider it.

I don't know how to live without my band. I feel like I am gaining pounds every minute which I am because my body was a disaster, but I am scared to death that I am going to gain it all back. I am not a band basher. I love my band and it gave me life back.  I wouldn't change the last 4 year journey.  

Any advise would greatly appreciated!

"Pain is Weakness leaving the body"  "keep up the good work"

Banded 8/18/10 emergency removal 11/13/14  Goal is 150 with slippage got to 115 (scary thin)     

White Dove
on 11/20/14 11:02 pm - Warren, OH

I am sorry for all that you have been through.  You will need to learn to control your food intake to get back to your goal weight and then stay there.  My Fitness Pal is a great tool that many of us use. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kesiling
on 11/21/14 12:20 am - Eatontown, NJ

Thank you White Dove! I actually have been using my Fitness Pal. 

Banded 8/18/10 emergency removal 11/13/14  Goal is 150 with slippage got to 115 (scary thin)     

56sunShine14
on 11/20/14 11:17 pm

I'm so sorry that you had that issue with the band but happy you had such success.

I had mine removed because of an issue but it was my choice.  That said, let me try to reassure you.

My band has been out since July. Before it came out, I had regained all of my weight because I gave up ON MYSELF.  However, since it has been out and I have begun my journey to being sleeved, I am losing weight again and it's not too hard.  This is my pre surgery weight loss.

The point of telling you all that is...here I  am, four months without the band and my stomach STILL does not allow me to overeat without strong warnings.  So why then did I regain WITH the band?  Because I ignored the "full" signals and ate a lot of junk.  I DID NOT CARE because I had given up.

As long as you stay with high, dense protein and away from the bad stuff, you should be fine.  You now have the healthy body you wanted when you were fat.  You don't have to lose it.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

kesiling
on 11/21/14 12:34 am - Eatontown, NJ

Thank you 56 SunShine! Thak you for sharing your journey with me. I have been on the web reading way too many bad and negative things, it is nice to hear the good and do able ones.

I think I cared too damn much otherwise I would have suggested slippage to my Dr before.   I am happy to have no more acid reflux or vomiting, but the scared head hunger (I think) I am fighting.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/21/14 12:25 am - UK

Sorry this happened to you. As it has not happened to me all I can suggest is what I hope I would do! 

Stick to protein first, crunchy veggies next, then carbs. Protein helps us feel full,neither or without ty band. 

Measure portions.

Avoid snacks. 

Weigh yourself regularly and chart it.

Join Weigh****chers if you are the sort of person that works for.

my very best wishes. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kesiling
on 11/21/14 12:36 am - Eatontown, NJ

Thank you True Brit! That is a great suggestion of the eating order. 

I was considering joining WW just to keep me honest and accountable.

Cathy W.
on 11/21/14 4:23 am

Take what you learned from having the Band and continue to do that on your own. 

Don't slip into the bad habits that you had pre-op.  Eat high protein meals, don't graze, avoid simple carbs, drink 64 oz. of water and stay active and move your body.  For the added accountability, WW would be good to try.

Hislady
on 11/21/14 4:59 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with the others, keep eating like you have a band and stick with healthy protein heavy meals. I had mine removed 9 mos ago because it was causing so much pain and I have actually lost weight since then so it is possible and do-able. I would suggest tho that you look at other options than the band should you need further help. Second bands rarely work well, I suspect because of the scar tissue left by the first one. I don't think the second one fits in the correct place as well. So you may want to read up on the sleeve, bypass and ds in case you need further surgery down the road.

Zee Starrlite
on 11/21/14 1:06 pm, edited 11/21/14 1:11 pm

Sorry about your band loss.  Wow, you couldn't eat for 3 months!!!  Any reason you did not get things checked out?  I do not believe that it could be possible to get a band was on the bottom of a  stomach.  It seems that you need to be educated on the band.  So many complications, so many removals and revisions.

I wish you  the best.  Get support, keep accountable!  Do not ignore your body!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1477 views